Castlefield Pottery, Etruria
|1860||1873||Davenport, Banks & Co||The partners were John Davenport, Edward Banks and James Robert Machin. The partnership was dissolved on the 9th April 1873 when Edward Banks retired.|
|1873||1880||Davenport, Beck & Co||The
partners were John Davenport and Augustine Beck.
Davenport & Beck entered into bankruptcy in 1874, however the company actually continued to 1880.
|Etruscan Tile Works|
|c.1893||1936?||Henry Ollivant Etruscan Tile Works||The works were operated by Henry Abraham Ollivant|
Castle Field Pottery
"These works, discontinued in about 1880, were at one time carried on by Mr. Ball, who distinguished himself as the first to bring out hollow and glazed bricks, and these he made for Prince Albert's model cottages. They were from his works at Poole, in Dorsetshire, arrd matured at Etruria.
In 1860, Davenport, Banks & Co. established themselves here, and manufactured fancy goods until 1873, when Mr. Banks retired and was succeeded by Mr. Beck as Davenport, Beck & Co. until 1880. The principal productions were fancy antique goods, majolica in all its varieties, porous goods, terra-cotta water-botlles, etc., jet ware, and the ordinary earthenware.
The mark was a castle and the letters D.B. & CO. ETRURIA within an oval garter bearing the words TRADE MARK."
From Jewitt's "Ceramic Art of Great Britain, 1800-1900"
the Etruscan Tile Works alongside the Trent & Mersey Canal in 1928
(former Castlefield Pottery)
the former Castlefield Pottery works - on the bank of the Trent & Mersey Canal
bing maps - 2016
Castlefield Pottery (porous & general earthenware)
the works were situated between the Trent & Mersey Canal and the Caldon Banch Canal
- in the mid 1950's Edward Street was renamed to
Castlefield Street -
Etruscan Tile Works
in 1880 the Castlefield Pottery has closed and
became the Etruscan Tile Works
The Trent & Mersey Canal passing through Cliffe, Vale, Etruria - 1928
Red rectangle - Etruscan Tile Works (former Castlefield Pottery)
Light blue rectangle - Gas Works
Dark blue line - Edward Street (renamed to Castlefield Street in the 1950's)
Yellow area - Hanley Municipal Cemetery
Purple area - Cliffe Vale Pottery (Twyfords)
tile produced at the
Henry Ollivant Etruscan Tile Works
Questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks