Crown Pottery, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent

 



click for photos of the Crown Pottery


 

From To Occupier Comments
1841 1851 John Goodwin  
c.1855 1872 Broadhurst & Sons in 1872 Broadhurst moved to the Portland pottery, Victoria Road, Fenton.
1875 2006 John Tams (John Tams Group) Company continued until 2006 in same location - 57 Stafford Street, Crown Pottery

 


 

 


1857 map showing the earthenware Crown Pottery factory - marked in Blue
note on the opposite side of the road is the china Crown Pottery (usually this was called the Crown Works)

 

 


1878 map showing the earthenware Crown Pottery factory - marked in Blue
note on the opposite side of the road is the china Crown Works

 


1907 map showing the location of Crown Pottery
on the corner of Commerce Street and Stafford Street
 



from..... 1907 Staffordshire Sentinel 
'Business Reference Guide to The Potteries, Newcastle & District'


 


The potteries and the town, Longton, from the south-west, 1948
in the bottom of the picture can be seen the Daisy Bank marl hole 

 

 


The yellow square shows the corner of Commerce Street and Stafford Street
where the Crown Pottery was located
The yellow square was where the Crown Works (later St. Georges Works) was located.

in the bottom of the picture can be seen the Daisy Bank marl hole 

 

 


Commerce Street runs top to bottom at the right hand side of the picture
and Stafford Street (now The Strand) joins it at the bottom - running left to right

 

Blue = Crown Pottery (John Tams)

Red = Wellington Works (Warrilow & Cope)
Purple = Chetham Pottery (Aynsley)
Green = Palissy Works
Light Blue = Coronation Place
Yellow = St. Georges Works
(previously known as the Crown Works)


 

 



Advert for John Tams at the Crown Pottery, Stafford Street, Longton

Reproduced from the Pottery Gazette, 1886

 

 



click for photos of the Crown Pottery

 


Questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks