Stoke-on-Trent - Advert of the week

contents: 2009 adverts

click for


Barratts, BurslemBarratts, Burslem

Barratts, Burslem

 Reproduced from 1977 - City of Stoke-on-Trent Handbook

Royal Stafford was formed in March 1992 with the combination of two famous pottery factories, Royal Stafford China and Barratts of Staffordshire, both with a history in keeping with their well known names. 
Royal Stafford was founded in 1845 in the town of Longton by Thomas Poole. 
The Royal Overhouse Manufactory, home of Barratts of Staffs, is one of the oldest Factories in Burslem and belonged for two centuries to the Wedgwood family. It is recorded that in 1756, it passed to Thomas, elder brother of Josiah, "the father of English potters"


This works built in 1869 stands on the site of
Wedgwood's Over House Estate

The Over House Pottery

"The Overhouse Works — Wedgwood Place. 

In 1787, the record runs, ‘Thomas Wedgwood, Manufacturer of Cream-coloured Ware and China glazed Ware, painted with blue’ worked the Overhouse Pottery at Burslem. The old works were situated at the back and side of the Overhouse, with entrance in Wedgwood Place, where that street joined Scotia Road.

Early in the nineteenth century, the Overhouse Works were occupied by Goodfellow & Bathwell, who were succeeded in 1819 by Edward Challinor, and from about 1828 by William Pointon. In 1856, they passed to Morgan, Williams & Co., afterwards to Morgan, Wood & Co. who, in 1861, were succeeded by Allman, Broughton & Co., and later by Robinson, Kirkham & Co. 

In 1869, the old works were entirely taken down and a new and extensive manufactory was erected with all the latest improvements of machinery and appliances, the jiggers all being driven by steam-power and the drying stoves heated by exhaust steam. 
The rebuilding, after half a century of active occupation by one person, was thus commemorated in ornamental scroll stonework over the entrance:
‘Edward Challinor commenced business here A.D. 1819, and rebuilt the premises A.D. 1869.’ 

The new manufactory was opened in 1870 by Ralph Hammersley, who removed here from the Church Bank Pottery at Tunstall and who had previously been engaged for twenty years with Mr. Challinor. In 1833, the firm’s style was changed to Ralph Hammersley & Sons and as such remained until sold in 1905 to T. Gater. 

Twentieth-century owners include Gater, Hall & Co., King & Barratt, and Barratts of Staffordshire Ltd.
The goods produced by Hammersley were the ordinary description earthenware in services of various kinds and the usual classes of useful articles which (besides a good home trade) were shipped in large quantities to the United States, Canada and Sweden. Stoneware jugs were also produced. The mark was the initials R.H. & S. in various forms until 1905."

Jewitt's Ceramic Art of Great Britain 1800-1900



contents: 2009 adverts