of the Week
Potworks of the Week
Etruria and Shelton Furnaces
Advert for Earl Granville's Etruria and Shelton Furnaces
Bronze Medal, London 1862
Gold Medal, Paris 1878
|For the first three
decades of its life of the Shelton site was under continual
Locally-mined ore was mixed with
that from nearby Froghall to improve its quality until coke replaced
coal as a fuel. The ore from South Wales and the north of England
was then used instead.
This continual expansion was to
reach its next significant milestone in 1866, with the decision to
form a private limited company. On July 10th that year the Shelton
Iron and Steel Company Ltd was registered. It had capital of
£250,000 in 250 shares each worth £1,000, of which the Earl
Granville held 77.
He also held on, very firmly, to
the blast furnaces, which continued to operate under his direct
Although he traded under the name Earl Granville, the two separate
sides of the organisation appear to have been operated as one unit.
on Shelton Iron & Steel Works