W & E Corn






 

Location and period of operation:

W & E Corn

Burslem
Longport  

c.1850  
1890

1891
1904

 

Manufacturers of earthenware at Navigation Road, Burslem and then earthenware and tiles at the Top Bridge Works, Longport, Stoke-on-Trent

  • The business was started at the High Street Works, Burslem by Edward Corn in 1837. 

  • By 1850 business had increased and it was transferred to larger premises in Navigation Road, Burslem. About the time of this transfer Edward Corn retired, leaving the business to his two sons, William and Edward, in whose hands it took the name of 'W & E Corn' around 1864.

  • Edward Corn (the father) died in 1869. 

  • William Corn (the elder son) died around 1885.

  • In 1890, still larger premises having become necessary, the Burslem factory was abandoned in favour of Top Bridge Works, Longport. 

  • Edward Corn (the younger son) died in 1891. The management of the company devolved upon his two sons - Alfred Henry Corn and Edmund Richards Corn - at this time the name W & E Corn continued to be used. 

  • There was another brother, Reginald Augustus Corn, and the three brothers together operated a tile manufacturing business at the Bridge Tile Works, known as Corn Brothers. 

  • The year 1891 saw Edmund R. Corn experimenting with glazed and floor tile manufacture, and soon the firm was producing tiles on a considerable scale. 

  • In 1896 control of the Bridge Tile Works was transfered soley to Reginald A Corn and the other two brothers continued their business at the Top Bridge Works continuing the name W & E Corn.

  • An important development occurred in 1900, when it was decided to purchase the sanitary earthenware business of Edward Johns & Co Ltd., Armitage, near Rugeley. Edmund R. Corn took charge at Armitage and 
    Alfred H. Corn remaining in control at Longport.

  • In 1903 the business transfered to the Pinnox Works in Tunstall and was renamed The Henry Richards Tile Company (the second Christian names of Alfred and Edmund. 

Most of this information from: "A Century of Progress 1837-1937" a publication to commemorate The Centenary of Richards Tiles Ltd.


Previously Edward Corn.

Subsequently The Henry Richards Tile Company Ltd.

 

    


The London Gazette
24th July 1896
 


Alfred and Edmund transfered the business of Corn Brothers to
to Reginald A Corn who continued at the Bridge Tile Works.

 


Marks & initials used on ware for identification:

Early ware (pre 1864) was not generally marked.

 


Ironstone China
W & E Corn
Burslem 

mark of ware produced at 
Navigation Road, Burslem 

c.1864-91


Royal Ironstone China
W & E Corn
Burslem 

mark of ware produced at 
Top Bridge Works, Longport 

c.1891 - 1904

these marks use the Royal Coat of Arms 


W & E Corn  Longport
Porcelaine Royale
England

c.1900 - 1904

 


W & E Corn  England
Porcelaine Royale

DOROTHY is the pattern name 

c.1900 - 1904


 


Porcelaine Royale
Art Ware
WAEC
England

'WACE' for W & E Corn

 c.1900 - 1904


W & E Corn  
England
Porcelaine Royale

 c.1900 - 1904


 


White ironstone china 
lidded jar

jug with the tea 
leaf pattern 

White ironstone sugar 
or tea caddy

 


 


'Porcelaine Royal' covered serving dish
in the DOROTHY pattern 


 


platter in the BLOSSOM pattern 


W & E Corn
England
Porcelaine Royale 

2.1901

this impressed mark give the 
date of manufacture
February 1901
 

 


 



1899 OS map of Longport
The red square shows the Top Bridge Works
The blue square shows the likely location of the Bridge Tile Works, Limekiln Lane 

 


Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks