S Kennedy (& Co)
Location and period of operation:
Subsequently: James Macintyre & Co (Ltd)
"The business now carried on at this manufactory originated experimentally in King Street, Burslem, where the late Mr. William S. Kennedy, about the year 1838, commenced the production of palettes and other requisites for artists' use.
Shortly afterwards, removing to a pottery in Bourne's Bank, he there added to his business the manufacture of door furniture, letters for signs, &c. With perseverance, Mr. Kennedy
combated the difficulties which these novel articles presented; and while in conjunction with Mr. William Maddock, who remained with the firm for thirty-five years, he was successful in effecting great improvements in the various processes.
About 1847, the manufacture was removed to its present locality, and has from time to time been enlarged.
The marks W. S. KENNEDY and J. MACINTYRE have been very rarely used.
In 1852 Mr. Kennedy was joined in partnership by his brother-in-law, Mr. James Macintyre, who shortly afterwards became sole proprietor of the works."
'Ceramic Art of Great Britain' - Llewellyn Jewitt - 1878
London Gazette - 4 April 1854
notice of the dissolution of the partnership
between Kennedy & Macintyre
Marks used on ware for identification:
W S KENNEDY
W S KENNEDY
& J MACINTYRE
Camoys Terrace, Waterloo Road, Burslem
W S Kennedy lived in one of these houses
- click for more -
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks