of Churches and Chapels |
| Index of Hanley Churches |
The mission became the hall for the new St.
Judes's Church - then later on was home to
On 11th of May 1895, Queen Victoria in Council at Windsor decreed "... a separate district for spiritual purposes in that particular part of Stoke-on-Trent..." Here the Order in Council went on to define precisely to the last linear foot, the bounds of the new parish of St Simon and St Jude,
here the description resorts to roads, railways, natural and man-made features with precise distances in chains and feet.
The new church was to be built on land set aside from the housing development in Seaford Street, Cauldon Road and Beresford Street, and a further plot was reserved on adjacent land in Seaford Street, for a new parsonage at a cost of £135. The Shelton architects, Scrivenors were retained to design and build the new church with 800 seats, at a cost of £10,000.
Photo of the Church and
Rev R. A. Lord
1956 saw the arrival of Rev. Archibald Royston Lord - a flamboyant, larger-than-life character who swept into the Parish like a mischievous whirlwind. Rev. Edge had introduced priestly vestments for Eucharist (older people preferred Holy Communion) which raised eyebrows, but "The Lord", as the new man was irreverently called, introduced Mass, brighter and more ornate vestments, incense, bells, confession and all manner of very high church innovations. He was single, an ex-RAF chaplain, with Alfredo an Italian cook, Anna an Austrian housekeeper, and Geoff a companion also an ex-RAF type, who acted as his Personal Assistant, He also had several lodgers of varying degrees of eccentricity, and Karl a large black Labrador who slept on the Chancel steps during Divine Service.
St Jude's was consecrated in 1901, the
living being in the gift of the Rector of Stoke. The capable and loyal
curate Edmund Spink was appointed to the living and in 1902 became
rector in his own right.
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks