Doors, gates and windows



St. Chads House, Bagnall


St. Chad's House, Bagnall
St. Chad's House, Bagnall
photos: Feb 2007


The shield, crest and motto above the door is that of the Owen family.
It is written in Welsh and reads: "What Owen has he holds".


This inscription reads "St. Ciead 1808".


St. Chad's House is a listed building and forms part of a range in front of the village green of Bagnall. A date on a beam suggests it was built in 1603.

The building was once the rectory to St. Chad's Church (just across the road), and was then owned by the Owen family whose descendants were the patrons of the Parish of Bucknall-cum-Bagnall. The Reverend Samuel Hubert Owen is buried in the churchyard. (Rev. Owen was the son of Alfred Owen of Wood Hey, Wrexham, an industrialist who was to found the motor car components firm of Rubery Owen).

The building was substantially remodelled in in the 19th century when its roof was raised and the upper windows were repositioned. The porch and unusual stone-roofed bay were also added at this time.