|Stoke-on-Trent Districts: Winton's Wood
click for more on
next: Modern day traces of the Winton name
Winton's Wood, Shelton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.
The glebe lands of Stoke Church
Winton's Field and Winton's Wood, to the north east of the map, were part of the Glebe lands of the Stoke Church.
of the glebe estate, land belonging to the church at Stoke
This map below shows part of the glebe estate, land belonging to the church. This estate comprised over 150 acres with a third of the land in the township of Penkhull, a third in Shelton (north of the Fowlea Brook) [which included the Winton's Field and Winton's Wood area] and a third in Fenton (east of the River Trent).
The Stoke church and the rector's house (Stoke Hall) stood on moated sites which provided protection not only from attackers but also from the river which periodically flooded the meadow land in the valley bottom.
Timber from Winton Wood used to re-roof the old church
In 1843 Ward recounts:
"...the church must have been re-roofed.... probably in the sixteenth century, when Church-ales were in vogue, being voluntary gatherings of the parishioners to execute any work required for the support or benefit of the church.... It appears that Winton Wood, still part of the glebe, and retaining its ancient name, though despoiled of its woodland character, and Cliff Hay, which belonged to the Duchy of Lancaster, furnished the timber necessary for these repairs..."
questions / comments / contributions? email: Steve Birks
1 January 2008