Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week



click for
previous
photos

Advert of the Week
Photo of the Week

Minerva Works, Fenton
Park Street, Fenton. In the Lane Delph Area.

The works gets its name from "Minerva" who in the Roman religion, was the goddess of handicrafts, 
the professions and the arts. Her shrine on the Aventine in Rome was a meeting place for guilds of craftsmen, 
including at one time dramatic poets and actors.

The Minerva works were established in 1801 (according to Jewitt's 'Ceramic Art of Great Britain'..) 

  • By 1812 the works were held by Charles Mason & Co., who first made the famous Patent Ironstone China.  

 

click for details of the owners  |

 

 

The Crown Staffordshire Porcelain Company Ltd
The Crown Staffordshire Porcelain Company Ltd
operated at the Minerva works from 1889-1948 

 


1906
Part of the works was rebuilt in 1906

Detail of the 1906 rebuild
Detail of the 1906 rebuild

Photos: Aug 2001 - taken just before the demolition of the Minerva Works

 


Minerva Works, Fenton

"A works on the site of the present [c.1963] Minerva Works in Park Street was in existence in the early 1760's, owned by the Broade family and in the tenure of James Kent; the Broades were looking for a new tenant in 1764. 

In 1806 or 1807 it was taken over by Miles Mason (1752-1822), who moved there from the Victoria Works, Market Street (now King Street). His eldest son William (1785 - c.1855) worked with him until 1811 when he started to make earthenware at a works nearby, and when Miles retired in 1813 it was to his other two sons, George Miles (1789-1859) and Charles James (1791-1856), that the Minerva Works passed."

Victoria History of the County of Stafford Vol VIII.

 

 


  

 

1925 map of the Lane Delph area of Fenton - showing the Minerva Works
1925 map of the Lane Delph area of Fenton - showing the Minerva Works

 


 



Coalport
operated at the Minerva works from 1985-2000

 


Part of the old works of 1906 and the extension of 1950

 


In 1950 there were extensions on both the right and left sides.

 


click for details of the owners  |