Piccadilly Street, Tunstall,
Streets of Stoke-on-Trent | Piccadilly Street |
| Index of all Tunstall Streets |
Piccadilly Street, Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent
Paradise Street - at the west end of Tower Square
These houses in Piccadilly and Paradise Street contained a front and back room on each of the two floors with a privy and an ashpit in the diminutive walled garden at the rear. Wash houses or sculleries appear to have been added beyond the back doors of many of the houses at a later date. A narrow cobbled footway runs between the yards of the two terraces and is crossed by a passage entered through an archway in the centre of each row. Above the arches are oval plaques bearing the street names and the date."
Victoria History of the County of Stafford Vol VIII (1963)
After the narrative above virtually all the houses have been demolished. Two however have survived in Paradise Street as the 'Paradise Inn'
The building which fronts Tower Square is the Methodist New Connexion Chapel of 1821.
Wesley Street was originally Market Street (after the market held in the Tower Square) but was renamed in the early 1950's
This house (in common with the nearby Methodist Chapel) was built in c.1821. It was built on the opposite side of the street to the houses built by the Tunstall Building Society.
Did you live in this street or
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks