Pevsner and the Buildings of Stoke-on-Trent

Inner Burslem

"Burslem is the only one of the six towns which has a centre, it may not be up to much, but it is undeniably a centre, even in spite of the fact that the parish church is outside it."

St John Baptist, Cross Hill

next: St. Joseph (RC) Church

St John Baptist, Cross Hill.

At the time of writing [1974] in scandalously undignified surroundings. Short Late Perp W tower. The rest of 1717, except for the chancel, which is of 1788. Brick nave of six bays, apse with Venetian window on the curve. Inside there is a w gallery, but the side galleries inserted in 1878-80 were demolished c.1930
(sculpture. Two terracotta plaques by Enoch Wood (1759-1840), one modelled when he was fifteen, the other when he was eighteen. Enoch Wood was also a manufacturer and became one of the leading figures in the town.) - plate. Flagon by C.A., 1718; Chalice by T.F., 1723; Paten by B.P., 1724.


St. John the Baptist parish church - Burslem

Woodbank St and Cross Hill
photos - 2000

The short and stocky west tower dates from 1536 and is Stoke-on-Trent's oldest structure still in service. The original roof was thatched After a serious fire the nave was rebuilt in brick and tile in 1717.

"apse with Venetian window on the curve"
View from the rear of the church, the church was extended in 1788 by the addition of an apsidal chancel to create more seating capacity. The east facing window is of the typical Venetian style - so loved by potteries architects. 

The view from towards Burslem still shown some remaining bottle kilns in the grounds of Acme Marls.


"At the time of writing [1974] in scandalously undignified surroundings."

painting: Reginald Haggar
property of Potteries Museum

on St. John's Burslem

next: St. Joseph (RC) Church