Pevsner and the Buildings of Stoke-on-Trent
 

Inner Longton

Pottery Structures


next: outer Longton (churches)
previous
: more on inner Longton
 

Of Pottery Structures the following are near.

In King Street, the road that leads without a beak into Fenton, the Phoenix Works, dated 1881 but still with the Georgian motif of the tripartite mid-window - only now it is no longer Venetian and the mullions are - blatantly Victorianly - stop-chamfered. 

The Phoenix Works
Built c.1879 by Thomas Forester


on the Phoenix Works


Then the Boundary Works, dated 1819, and one of the best. Seventeen bays, with a five-bay centre raised to two and a half stories. Archway, Venetian window, tripartite window, gable.

The Boundary Works, King Street

The Boundary Works, King Street


In Caroline Street a conical kiln, i.e. an example of the oldest type (Caroline Pottery).

Taken at the Caroline Works, Caroline Street, Longton
Taken at the Caroline Works, Caroline Street, Longton c.1975-6
The bottle oven was demolished in 1983

photo Gladstone Pottery Museum Photographic Collection
Staffordshire Past Tracks

 - this kiln has since been demolished -

 


In Sutherland Road the Aynsley Pottery, dated 1861 - and yet still entirely the Georgian type. Fifteen bays, the centre the usual archway, one Venetian window, but a tripartite window above it, because the building now is of three, no longer of two floors.

 

Aynsley's Portland Works in Sutherland Road, Longton.
Aynsley's Portland Works in Sutherland Road, Longton.
 -
Photo Mr.Elliott, February 1975 -
Staffs past tracks



Details of the entrance

 

 


N of Aynsley's two bottle kilns have so far saved their lives.

 - these kilns have since been demolished -


Opposite Aynsley's are the Sydney Works of 1879, and they are not under the Georgian spell any longer. The motifs of the central frontispiece are vaguely Italian and entirely Victorian.

 

 

- photos 2000 -


In Chadwick Street another two bottle kilns (Salisbury China Co.)

 - these kilns have since been demolished -


In Edensor Road (Electra [Elektra] Porcelain Company) two conical kilns.


date: 1973 Elektra Porcelain & Co. Ltd., Edensor Road, Stoke-on-Trent

The works were demolished in 1975

photo Gladstone Pottery Museum Photographic Collection
Staffordshire Past Tracks

- these kilns have since been demolished -


and in Green Dock Street the Queen Anne Works, late C19. It till has an echo of the Georgian frontispiece, but is now three stepped arched lights on the first and the same on the second floor. Also the materials are now red brick, yellow brick and yellow stone.

- this building has since been demolished -

 


next: outer Longton (churches)
previous
: more on inner Longton