Brain and Co Ltd
Location and period of operation:
and Co Ltd
Manufacturers of porcelain & china at the Foley China Works, Foley, Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent.
Formerly: Robinson & Son Elijah Brain and his partners took over the business and works from Robinson's in 1885 but retailed the trade name and mark of Robinson & Son until 1903 when they traded under the name E. Brain & Co. Subsequently: Coalport In 1958 Messrs E. Brain & Co Ltd took over the name and goodwill of Coalport China Ltd. and started to transfer the business to the Foley China Works.
Since 1963 production continued soley under the Coalport name.
The Foley China Works of E Brain & Co. Ltd.
Pottery factory exterior taken at the Foley China Works, Fenton
Photo - date unknown but pre-1978
© Staffordshire Past Track
- click for more information on The Foley China Works -
were 5 different companies
operating in this area which
hade 'Foley' in their name
- click for more -
Initials and marks used on ware for identification:
E B & Co
'L' stands for Longton
E B & Co
the factory was
located in a district called 'Foley'
it was on the border of the two towns
Longton and Fenton - most marks had 'L'
but occasionally 'F' was used, there
was no difference in the factory
Early printed mark 1903-05
1850' refers to
the previous company 'Robinson & Co'
on the same site
click below for more information:-
1956 Article on the Brain pottery.
BRAIN, Elijah (1842-1910), pottery manufacturer, Foley, Fenton.
Elijah Brain was born in Fenton in 1842. He was educated at Fenton and Stoke National Schools and later attended the Fenton and Stoke Athenaeums to improve his education.
He began work as a jigger and mould runner at the Foley Pottery of Baker and Co., After leaving Barker & Co. he joined Robinson and Son (who operated the adjoining Foley China Works) and eventually became chief cashier and a partner in Robinson and Son.
From 1885 Elijah Brain took over the business and was in partnership with A. B. Jones and W. Hawker.
From 1875 Elijah Brain was a conductor of the Mount Tabor chapel choir and was also one of the founders of the Stoke Philharmonic Society. In 1878 he inaugurated the Fenton Children's Religious Services, with an annual festival at Fenton town hall. He served on the Stoke upon Trent school board. In 1910 he failed to gain election to the federated council of Stoke on Trent, trailing Phillip Elliot and John Shaw Coddard.
By his wife Mary Julia he had two daughters and a son. He died on 23 October 1910 and was buried at Fenton cemetery.
Sources: Staffordshire Sentinel 24 October 1910 (obit.). People of the Potteries. London Gazette
Questions/Comments/Contributions? email: Steve Birks