Cumberlidge & Humphreys






 

Location and period of operation:

Cumberlidge & Humphreys

Tunstall

1880
1890

1889
1893

Earthenware manufacturers at Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent

 

  • The original partners were William Myatt Cumberlidge and Joseph Humphreys who from 1880 to 1885 at the Well Street Pottery, Tunstall

  • In 1886 they moved to the Gordon Pottery Tunstall.

  • In 1889 they took on George Frederick Helé as partner and traded at the Gordon Works under the name "Cumberlidge, Humphreys & Helé

  • At the end of 1890 Helé left the business which returned to "Cumberlidge & Humphreys" 

  • John Humphreys jnr joined the business and in October 1893 Cumberlidge left. The business continued as Humphreys Brothers. 

 

Concurrently:  Cumberlidge, Humphreys & Helé

Subsequently: Humphreys Brothers

 

 


London Gazette
January 6, 1891
 


notice of the dissolution of the partnership
Helé left and Cumberlidge & Humphreys continued
 

 


London Gazette
October 31, 1893
 


notice of the dissolution of the partnership between 
Cumberlidge & Humphreys - the business continued
as Humphreys Brothers 

 


 

 


platter in the EATON pattern

 



pair of vases in the Japanese pattern 

 


 


covered serving dish in the ARIZONA pattern  

 



Marks and initials  used on ware for identification:

C & H


C & H
TUNSTALL



C & H

"JAPANESE" is the pattern name

 


 


C & H
TUNSTALL

"EATON" is the pattern name



C & H
TUNSTALL

"KINGFISHER" is the pattern name


 


C & H
TUNSTALL
ENGLAND

 


C & H
TUNSTALL
ENGLAND

"ARIZONA" is the pattern name

the use of "ENGLAND" gernerally indicates a date after 1891

 


 

- click picture for information on the Gordon Pottery - 

 


questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks