Royal Doulton began as a partnership between John Doulton, Martha Jones, and John Watts, at a factory in Lambeth, London in 1815. There, the business specialised in making stoneware articles, such as decorative bottles and salt glaze sewer pipes. Yet stoneware would be the making of this enterprise. The company took on the Doulton name in 1853 when John, and his son Henry, established themselves as makers of fine English stoneware.In 1877/8 Doulton purchased a small factory from Pinder, Bourne and Co at Nile Street in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, bringing Doulton right to the heart of "The Potteries". Doulton became increasingly popular, thanks in large part to the artistic direction of John Slater, who worked across a wide variety of figurines, vases, character jugs, and decorative pieces. The works continued to be called "Pinder, Bourne & Co" until early 1882 when it became "Doulton & Co. Ltd."
The sheer popularity of Doulton products also came to the attention of the Royal Family and, in 1901, the Burslem factory was granted the Royal Warrant by the new King, Edward VII. It was this that enabled the business to adopt new back-stamp and a name that would last: Royal Doulton.
Between the First and Second Workd Wars, Royal Doulton went on to become synonymous with the finest English china worldwide. That name and reputation continued to grow with flambé ware, titanian ware, and bone china.The old established pottery company Minton effectively merged with Royal Doulton in 1968,.
Royal Albert, as a part of Allied English Potteries, joined when Royal Doulton merged with AEP in 1971.
Since then, the business has combined the current three main brands under a shared identity: Royal Doulton, Royal Albert, and Minton. Now, fine bone china, fine china and Lambethware are the hallmarks of quality from Royal Doulton, alongside a host of tableware and other products from the core brands, such as Old Country Roses by Royal Albert, and Haddon Hall by Minton.
Royal Doulton has left it's factory in Burslem having established a state-of-the-art production facility in Indonesia. This was followed Wedgwood's acquisition of Royal Doulton on January 14, 2005.