John Goodwin

Goodwin & Co






 

Location and period of operation:

John Goodwin

Longton

1841

1851

John Goodwin, earthenware manufacturer at the Crown Pottery Works, Longton, (Lane End), Stoke-on-Trent and from 1852 at Seacombe, Liverpool. 

  • Prior to being in business on his own account he was in partnership with George Ellis - this partnership ended in November 1840.

  • The Crown Works was situated on Stafford Street (now re-named The Strand), on the corner of Commerce Street.

  • His home was given to be in City Road between the towns of Fenton and Stoke.

 

John Goodwin
Goodwin & Co

Seacombe, Liverpool

1852

1871

  • In 1851 Goodwin moved from Stoke-on-Trent to Seacombe on the opposite shore of the River Mersey from Liverpool.
    This move ensured that his pottery works were close to the port where the ware was exported to the Americas, Russia, Colonial Canada and Asia. 

  • He took some of his workmen from the Longton works to Liverpool and fired the first oven there in 1852. It is recorded that "at this pottery ... blue and coloured printed was and Parian was made. A large export market was built up and the works were amongst the most advanced of their period"

  • John Goodwin retired but little more than a year later (in 1857) and at the age of 65 John Goodwin also passed away. 

  • His sons Thomas Orton Goodwin, George Goodwin, Joseph Wooliscroft Goodwin and Henry Goodwin continued to run the business. As well as the Seacombe pottery in Liverpool they also had a business in Quebec, Canada which imported earthenware and other merchandize. 

  • George Goodwin retired in 1858. 

  • In 1870 disaster struck as a large consignment of ware destined for the Americas was sunk in rough seas with the entire shipment lost - it appears this loss was too great for the company and in 1871 the business went into liquidation. 

 

 


London Gazette
 26th October 1858


notice of the retirement of George Goodwin 


  


Large Ironstone platter by John Goodwin, in the Montezuma pattern
produced at his works in Longton

1841 to 1851

 



Ironstone soup dish by Goodwin & Co, in the Montezuma pattern
produced at the works in Liverpool

c.1857 to 1871

 


 


Flow blue bowls in the Morea pattern

 


 

Marks used on ware for identification:

J GOODWIN
LONGTON

ware with the town name 'LONGTON'
was produced 1841-51 


 

GOODWIN & Co
LIVERPOOL

In 1851 John Goodwin moved his works to Seacome, Liverpool
and so ware with the place name 'LIVERPOOL
was produced 1852-71 


 


Ironstone
MONTEZUMA
J Goodwin
Longton

ware with the LONGTON mark was produced between 1846 and 1851


Ironstone
MONTEZUMA
Goodwin & Co
Seacombe pottery
LIVERPOOL

ware with the LIVERPOOL mark was produced between 1852 and 1871

 


 


Ironstone
J Goodwin
Longton

the Eagle at the top of the mark indicates
that this ware was produced for export to America

'MOREA' is the pattern name

 


 


Ironstone
ROUSILLON
J Goodwin
Longton

the registration diamond shows that this design was register on the 16th December 1846

ware with the LONGTON mark was produced between 1846 and 1851


Ironstone
ROUSILLON
J Goodwin
Seacombe pottery
LIVERPOOL

the same registration date in 1846 when he was at the Crown Works, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent

ware with the LIVERPOOL mark was produced between 1852 and 1871

 



Ironstone soup dish by Goodwin & Co, in the Montezuma pattern
produced at the works in Liverpool


Ironstone
MONTEZUMA
Goodwin & Co
Seacombe pottery
LIVERPOOL

this dish was recovered, when scuba diving, by Nike of the El Escondido Guest House, Puerto Rico.

the dish may have been from the 1870 disaster when a large consignment of ware destined for the Americas was sunk in rough seas with the entire shipment lost.

 


Click below for more information on the 
Crown Pottery Works in Longton, Stoke-on-Trent:

occupied by John Goodwin
1841 to 1851 


Click below for more information on the 
Seacombe Pottery Works in Liverpool:


occupied by John Goodwin & his sons
1852 to 1871 


questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks