Street Pottery Co Ltd
Location and period of operation:
Street Pottery Co Ltd
(See sources + Potteries Museum)
The policy of growth by acquisition in the 1947-1949 period ensured that a wide range of goods were produced. During this period, the emphasis was on production for export. A message from the Managing Director in a company leaflet states "we all know that the Nation’s first need is to manufacture for export, to enable us to earn dollars, and so purchase the raw materials essential for industry."
White utility wares were in production at some factories in the group, whilst others concentrated on decorated ware for export.
1915 Establishment of Keele Street Pottery by C.H. Bowers, Elijah Brookes, J.Robinson, and H.W. Pitt
1916 Commenced mass production of once fired egg cups
WWII Closed under Concentration of Industries Act and used by government to store shell cases
1946 Re-opened with 5 bottle ovens, producing once fired white cups
1947 Product range extended to include ornamental ware, cottage ware and other fancies
1947-1949 Acquisition of other companies
Paramount Pottery Ltd., Hanley (estd. 1946) – white cups & cottage ware
Winterton Pottery Ltd., Longton (estd. 1927) – dinner & tea wares
Thomas Cone Ltd., Alma Works, Longton (estd. 1892) – dinner & tea wares
Collingwood Bone China Ltd. (estd. 1887)
Conway Pottery Ltd., Fenton (estd.1930) – white cups
Piccadilly Pottery, Tunstall (estd. 1946) - wholesaler
Lawton Pottery, Tunstall
1949 49% of shares sold to South Western Industrial Gas and Water Corporation
1950 Name changed to Staffordshire Potteries Limited
1951 Became a quoted public company. Began to lease buildings at Meir Airport
C.H. BOWERS: Began work with Booths of Tunstall where he later became Managing Director. Became Alderman of the city of Stoke-on-Trent 1910. His son, C.G. Bowers, followed the same career path with Booths, moving to Keele Street Pottery in 1946. C.G. Bowers died in 1961.
ELIJAH BROOKES: (extract from an undated Evening Sentinel cutting) "Mr Brookes was born in Brierley Hill, South Staffordshire in 1845 and began his working life as an engineer on the railway at Stockton & Darlington, later becoming an engineer and contractor in North Wales. He lived at Old House Green, Mow Cop, [Staffordshire] at the time of his death.
In 1882 he came to Staffordshire as a manufacturer of Birmingham small wares [metal wares] and by 1892 became associated with the pottery trade, specialising in high-class jet ware. Then for several years he was at Longton as a general earthenware manufacturer."
In 1915 Mr Brookes and partners began the Keele Street Pottery, Tunstall. The company was set up for "the mass production of utility wares". He was "the inventor of many patent appliances in the pottery trade" and remained a Director of the company that he founded until his death. He lived at Old House Green, Mow Cop.
He left three daughters (all married). The bearers of the coffin were members of the Taylor and Hollinshead families. Wreaths were sent by the Clay, Decorating, and Warehouse Departments of the Keele Street Pottery.
H.W. PITT: was Technical Manager, developing once fired ware.
Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks