|Buildings of Stoke-on-Trent|
[ Web Site Index ]
The White House fronting the Broad Street potworks was the home of Richard Hicks (of the partnership Hicks & Meigh)
The White House was demolished after the Second World War and is now the site of the Mitchell Memorial Theatre in Broad Street.
"The Dwelling-house of Mr. Hicks, a retired manufacturer, in the High-Street of Shelton, is a specimen of a first-rate house of the last century; it was erected by Mr. John Baddeley, and eminent potter, who died in 1772."
More on Broad Street.
Note that originally this was High Street, Shelton (certainly in 1843) by the time of the OS map in 1898 the street had been re-named 'Broad Street' - presumably to prevent confusion with the High Street in the north of Hanley, which led to Sneyd Green.
|built by John Baddeley (who died in 1772)|
|later occupied by Richard Hicks (who died in 1844)|
|1829||"In Shelton, is the elegant mansion of R Hicks, Esq. a gentleman who connects with sterling piety a most unbounded benevolence of disposition. Here the destitute find relief, the distressed find consolation, and the miserable, sympathy and protection." Shaw (1829) 'History of the Staffordshire Potteries"|
|1849-1854||occupied by Lydia Hicks at least between 1849-84|
|1860||known to be occupied by Crapper and Co, dentists, by this date.|
|1876||was known as the White House by this date.|
|1891||was offered for sale after Crapper's death in 1891|
|The White House was demolished after the Second World War and is now the site of the Mitchell Memorial Theatre in Broad Street.|
From 1898 OS map of the top of Broad Street
Blue: Phoenix works
Green: White House
The Mitchell Memorial Theatre - Broad Street
built on the site of the White House
View down Broad Street
the buildings to the left are those shown on the 1898 map
Photos: July 2001