in Stoke-on-Trent and area
Fragment of a pre-Norman cross in the grounds of Church of St. Peter
02 Oct 1951
Fragment of a
pre-Norman cross in the grounds of Church of St. Peter Ad
STOKE ON TRENT SJ8645 GLEBE
of a Saxon preaching cross - approximately 4 foot high.
The fragments from the
medieval (pre-Norman (1066) preaching cross were identified by the
They are reputed to
have served as a door lintel at some stage in their history. The
P.W.L. Adams referred to was Percy Adams of Woore Hall.
The fragment of the
Saxon preaching cross
Glebe Street is visible
through the trees
Fragment of Anglo-Saxon cross. Stone.
Identified by Charles Lynam and re-erected by him
in mid 19th Century. Tooled base and surrounding railings are
early 19th Century, and the shaft itself, which is some 4ft high,
is enriched with interlace and key patterns.
The fragment of
the Saxon preaching cross
The inscription on
the plinth reads:
of a pre-Norman cross
identified by Chas Lynam F.S.A. was
re-erected near to its original position
in the 25th year of the reign of
H.M. King George V by P. W. L. Adams F.S.A"
photos: Steve Birks July 2000
on St. Peters
summary of all listed
buildings in St. Peters grounds
next: Chest Tombs
of the Garner Family, St. Peters Churchyard, Stoke
previous: Headstone of Herbert Stansfield, St. Peters Churchyard,