The packhorse lane
The Fowlea Brook was
forded at Longport (or Longbridge as it was originally known) - as
far as the Potteries was concerned this was one of the most
important...... this was the bridge over which the pack mule teams
made their way from Burslem to Newcastle, laden with pottery for
This track from
Burslem, the remains of which are now known as Park Horse Lane, was
one of the few true pack horse roads in the Burslem area. The track
ran from Burslem, which was set on a hill east of the Fowlea Brook
valley, between the previous District Bank at the top of Newcastle
Street and the famous manufactory of Enoch Wood.
Pack Horse Lane can
still be traced in the upper part of the road on the south side of
the old Fountain Place Works, it was part of a long and very old
road. In Longport itself there is The Packhorse, a public house.
Wood's Fountain Place
factory, Burslem in 1840
Pack Horse lane was entered through the arch
The same location in
Pack Horse lane still exists between the bank on the left and the
restored works of Enoch Wood (now converted into flats).
Horse - Longport
evidence of the route of the packhorse lane from Burslem
the opposite side of the canal to the wharf was built a new public
house in the late 1770s, the Packhorse Inn, to provide accommodation
for boatmen and carters and their horses.
More on Burslem, Enoch Wood and
More on Longport
Burslem in 1750 - based on
a plan by Enoch Wood
Blue box says "Packhorse PH" - the
light blue arrows show Packhorse lane leading to Longport and Newcastle. The
red line indicates the location of the frontage of Woods Fountain Place
The green arrows show Hill Street (later
Liverpool Road and now Westport Road) which led through Church Lawton to
Winsford and then to Liverpool. The purple line indicates the frontage of
the Hill Works of Wades potteries.