Howard Place & Snow Hill
The Toll Gate
Tollgate Newsagents shop
The road from Stoke to Hanley was turnpiked
and the 1832 map shows the Toll Gate near to Cauldon Place. The building
still exists in the form of a newsagents shop. The buildings surrounding
were built later as evidenced by the building line which is set back from
the frontage of the tollgate building.
name plaque on building next to the
Hanley Borough Cemetery
On the same side as the Toll Gate building is
Hanley Cemetery, which stands on part of Shelton Hall Estate.
The Shelton Hall house (which can be seen on
the 1832 map - opposite the Cauldon Place pottery works) was built in 1782
for the Chatterley brothers (prominent potters in nearby Hanley). The house
was known as Shelton Hall or alternatively Chatterley Hall.
The corner boundary wall of the
cemetery next to Aynsley Road.
in memory of the war dead lying in Hanley, Hartshill, Longton, Burslem,
Tunstall, Fenton and Smallthorne cemeteries.
When Hanley was incorporated as a borough in
1857, John Ridgway (first mayor of the borough and the owner of Cauldon
Place pottery) was instrumental in setting up a Burial Board Committee.
View of Cemetery Road from
on the left is the
and on the right is the Registrar's House.
Cemetery Road was built for Hanley Borough
Council by a Mr Durber, the two lodges were built in 1860 of yellow/white
bricks with stone dressings to the design of
and Son, who designed Stoke Town Hall.