Howard Place & Snow Hill
Opposite the cemetery is
Cauldon Park section of Hanley park - Hanley park was officially opened on Jubilee day, June 20th 1897, occupying
about 63 acres (25.5 hectares) of land.
Originally a large area of waste ground called 'Stoke Fields', cut in two by
the Caldon Canal (which was opened 1777).
The park took five years to develop at a cost
to the ratepayers of £70,000. The land was also purchased from the estate of
Hanley Park (Cauldon
Park) entrance in Stoke Road
The development of the park and lake was under
the guidance of Thomas H Mawson of Windermere (he also designed Burslem
Mawson went on to be a designer of
international repute - he designed gardens throughout Britain, and in Europe
In 1908 he won a competition to lay out the Peace Palace gardens at the
Hague. He also advised on the development of the Great Smoky Mountains
National Park in America. In 1929 he became the first president of the
Institute of Landscape Architects.
The road along the southern
boundary was originally Park Avenue - this name can still be seen in the
partly painted out sign on the park wall.
In the early 1950's alot of roads
in the city were renamed and Park Avenue became Park Road.
Hanley Borough arms
over the entrance to the park.
On the Hanley County Borough Arms is the Dromedary camel this was from the Crest of the Ridgway Family.
The jugs (upper left) and the kilns (upper right) represent the pottery
on Hanley Park