| Districts | Streets | Maps

Stoke-on-Trent Districts: Meir


 

Meir and the Roman Road

1 .... in Roman times it was situated on the Roman road Rykeneld Street which ran from Derby/Uttoxeter, through Meir to Chesterton and then onto Chester.

Charter of the Abbey of Hulton

"The Foundation Charter of the Abbey of Hulton, dated 1223, contains a description of the possessions, granted by Henry de Audley, to the Abbots and Monks; which includes lands in Normancote (became Normicot Grange, now Normacot), adjoining to Longton and Lane End.

This estate is said to be bounded by the old course of the river Blithe (now river Blythe), as far as a place called Wetmeresbrook, (or Wetmotesbrook), which must be near Bthythe Bridge, and from there to run up Rykeneld Street and through the village of Mere as far as the spring which flows from the intakes of Mere. ("De assartis de Mere" - Assartum signified land reclaimed from a wood or waste).

Here we have a document more than seven hundred years old which identifies Rykeneld Street."

Route of Rykeneld Street

"This road proceeded from Blyth Marsh, in a direct course towards Lane Endů the Sutherland Road in Lane End is a continuation of it; at the north end of which it again unites with the turnpike road, and passing the church, goes on to Lane Delph; but there the turnpike road diverges a little, and the Rykeneld Street goes, or rather did go, in a direct line to the pear-Tree Houses, and the Manor House of Little Fenton; then passing Cauldon Place and Shelton Hall, a little on the left to Foul Hay House, from whence it most likely proceeded up a hollow way or dingle to Wolstanton Marsh; thence, perhaps, through the village of Wolstanton, to the top of Port Hill, and along the present road towards Bradwell Hall, in the direction of Chesterton; but we are unable, after considerable diligence, to discover any traces of the Rykeneld Street between Wolstanton and Chesterton. "

The Borough of Stoke-upon-Trent" John Ward, 1843


Route of Rykeneld Street - through Meir and Lane End, Wolstanton to Chesterton


Meir and the Domesday Book

2 .... the 1087 Domesday book records  Normacot, Weston (Coyney) and Caverswall which all centre on Meir. The village of Meir was located on the boundary of the Pirehill and Totmonslow Hundreds. 


Pirehill and Totmonslow Hundred
The area of Stoke-on-Trent falls almost exclusively into the north part of
Pirehill Hundred with Meir on the boarder and Weston Coney and Caverswall
being in the west of Totmonslow Hundred.


 

P26 Normacot
T19 Weston (Coney)
T20 Caverswall



 

 

questions / comments / contributions? email: Steve Birks

26 November 2007