At Trubshaw Cross, Longport, where an ancient
cross once stood, a modern stone cross was erected at the centre of the
traffic roundabout in 1949. It stands on a base of 1750 which at one time
formed part of a lamp standard set in the middle of the road junction.
To the north-west of the roundabout, between
Davenport Street and the canal, stood the factory buildings (recently
demolished) [this was the Longport factory] and dwellinghouse dating from about the close of the 18th
century and at one time belonging to the Davenports; they were an example of
a master potter's house with its works attached.
Another house, of slightly later date, became
the Duke of Bridgewater Inn about the middle of the 19th century; it stands
in Station Street on the south side of the canal bridge and has a
symmetrical three-storied brick front with altered ground-floor windows.
Longport Hall, demolished in the 1880's, stood in its own grounds to the
south of Trubshaw Cross.
A view of the garden front in 1843, when the
hall was the residence of William Davenport, shows an early-19th-century
house with a three-storied central block of three bays flanked by projecting
two-storied wings of equal height; another wing is visible at the back.
Between later buildings on the south side of
Newcastle Street stands a row of six cottages (nos. 119–29) apparently of
From: 'Burslem: Buildings, manors and
estates', A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 8 (1963)