Tunstall - Stoke-on-Trent
The towns of Fenton (`farm by a fen or possibly
'enemies town`) and Tunstall ('site of a farm') became Urban District Councils
as late as 1894, having had neither charters nor mayors.
Arnold Bennett referred to Tunstall as Turnhill in his novels centered on the Potteries towns.
|Also see: 'the Six Towns' - Tunstall|
|The resources and transcripts on this page are from GenUKI - the leading Internet genealogical resource in the UK|
FROM PIGOT'S TYPOLOGY OF ENGLAND IN 1841 - Staffordshire and the Potteries
or TUNSTALL COURT, is a market town and liberty, forming part of the
borough of Stoke, in the parish of Wolstanton, four miles north by east
from Newcastle. Considerable manufactories of porcelain, earthenware, blue
bricks and tiles, and some chymical works, afford employment to several
hundred persons; and veins of coal, fine clay, limestone, iron ore, and
other mineral strata, abound in the vicinity. The Grand Trunk canal passes
within half a mile of the town; and the Harecastle tunnels, which run
nearly two miles in length, are within a short distance.
The new church here was erected partly by means of a grant from the commissioners for building churches, and the remainder by subscriptions among the inhabitants; the right of presentation to the living is vested in the perpetual curate of Wolstanton. There are three chapels for Methodists. The market is on Saturday.
Data from Pigots supplied by: Dr David Alan Gatley (Staffs University)
[The history of the City of Stoke-on-Trent]
[Tunstall] [Burslem] [Hanley] [Fenton] [Longton] [Stoke]
Questions and comments to: Steve Birks: firstname.lastname@example.org