Shelton (and The Ridgway Family)

 

 

 Introduction to the walk around Shelton

 

This is  a history walk around part of Shelton. The purpose of the walk is to look at the relationship between the Ridgway family, pottery manufacturers of Caldon Place, and the development of the surrounding area. Emphasis will also be placed on the role played by their religious beliefs they were prominent members of Bethesda Methodist New Connexion Chapel in Hanley. 

on the Methodist New Connexion

 

The actual walk was conducted in July 2000 by Andrew Dobraszczyc (Keele University). Photos & web production by Steve Birks.  

The Caldon Place Works was built by Job Ridgway (1759-1814). He was the son of Ralph Ridgway, a potter in Burslem. In 1782, with his brother George, he took over the Bell Works, Shelton (now the site of the Potteries Museum). The partnership ended in 1802 and then or shortly afterwards Job built the Caldon Place Pottery. 

The site of the new factory was on the main turnpike road between Hanley and Stoke below the Caldon Canal opposite the Shelton Hall, built in 1782 for the brothers Ephraim and Charles Chatterley, prominent pottery manufacturers in Hanley 

Job was one of the founder members of the Methodist New Connexion in Hanley in 1797 who met temporarily in a coach house in Albion Street until Bethesda Chapel was built on the site in 1798. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Elijah Mayer, potter, in 1785 and had three sons, John, William and Joseph (who died in infancy). John (1785-1860) and William (1788-1864) became partners in the business in 1808 when they began to manufacture porcelain at the Caldon Place Works. Job died in 1814 and his two sons continued the partnership until 1830 when William took the Bell Bank Works leaving his brother John in sole charge of the factory in Shelton. 

Ridgway family tree

 

Thomas Hargreaves Map 1832 - Shelton
The map above, an extract from Thomas Hargreaves Map of the Staffordshire Potteries
 and Newcastle-under-Lyme, shows the house and the works in 1832.

 

 


 
Next:
starts the tour on Stoke Road, outside 
the collage which occupies the site of the works 


questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks