Stoke-on-Trent - Advert of the week
Shaw & Copestake, Sylvan Works, Longton
Reproduced from 1904 Pottery Gazette Reference Book
"In 1894, Mr Shaw called his
company the Sheaf Art Pottery, but the wares produced were not produced by
hand as in many art pottery studios - rather they were mass produced in
moulds and then hand decorated. Early products included decorated vases,
jugs, flower pots, cheese stands, toilet wares and fancy earthenwares.
They were very ornate and heavily decorated with gold and a lot of hand
In the 1950s and 1960s new lines continued to be produced including plaques and floral brooches. Advertising pieces and commemorative wares were also made.
The products in the Thomas Lawrence Falcon Ware range were very similar to the Shaw and Copestake wares - fancies, novelties and toilet ware. During the war The Shaw and Copestake factory was requisitioned by the government and used for storage. It re-opened in 1945. Part of the Falcon Pottery was made available to Shaw and Copestake during this period and so the two arms of the company worked closer together during this period. During the war they maintained a strong export market and the Falcon Pottery also manufactured utility wares for the home market.
By 1957 Thomas Lawrence had moved out of the Falcon Works and joined Shaw and Copestake at the Sylvan Works - both were by then producing the same items."
Stoke-on-Trent City Council - museum services