Sneyd Colliery and Brickworks Company, Ltd.,
Nile Street, Burslem
Sneyd Colliery and Brickworks Company, Ltd., constitute one of the
most considerable industrial industrial establishments in North
Staffordshire, both on account of the extent and of the importance
of the varied operations in which they are engaged. The Company took
its origin parly in the present century with the Sneyd Colliery
Company who were very large coal owners in this district.
business was afterwards curried on, from 1844 to 1875, by Messrs.
C.and J. May. In the latter year it was purchased by Messrs. William
Heath, Arthur Dean and W. A. M. Telwright, and was converted into a
limited liability company in 1881.
thoroughly representative Board of Directors has been created,
including William Woodall, Esq. M.P. (Financial Secretary to the
War Office in the present Government); William Heath, Esq. : W. A.
M. Telwright, Esq. ; Arthur Dean, Esq. : and J. Wilcox
Edge, Esq. J.P. The secretary is Mr. John Mayer; the colliery
manager, Mr. John Heath ; and the manager of the brickworks, Mr.
S. Webster Dean.
the management of the present proprietors, both the colliery and
brickworks departments of the business have been developed with
characteristic energy and enterprise. They have sunk two new shafts
to a depth of over six hundred yards, and considerably widened a
third. They have, too, laid down new machinery and other plant of
the most improved description; and they have the best pair of
winding engines in North Staffordshire.
pit-frame is steel, and the other appliances are all of the most
modern description. There are eight different seams of coal; and the
capacity is such that the Company can turn out 10,000 tons weekly.
There are about six hundred acres to each seam. The various seams
worked are as follows — the Burnwood seam, the Mossfield seam, the
Harmine seam, the Holly Lane seam, the Bowling Alley seam, the Main
seam, the Sevenfoot seam, and the Greatt Row seam. The Company have
seams of excellent house coal, also second house coal and steam
coal—the latter being chiefly used in the immediate district. The
house coal is sent into the general market, where no product has
gained so high a reputation as the Mossfield coal. The various
buildings at the pit-mouths are lighted by electricity.
manufacture of glazed bricks, coloured as well as white, is a very
extensive branch of business with the Company, the special points
aimed at being the manufacture of a brick that is indestructible by
natural influences or natural forces; that is, a brick that is
impervious to the usual destructive agencies of weather,
climate, etc., and one that can resist the heaviest pressure that
would he brought to bear on it as a building material.
characteristics of a good glazed brick, the Company lays down, are
the firm adherence of the enamel to the body of the brick; the
capability of that body to resist a heavy pressure and thus
prevent the edges of the bricks chipping or flying when subject to
such pressure; while another point is the purity of the enamel.
Much time and exhaustive study has been devoted to the composition
and preparation of the various enamels now used by the Company,
and the above results have been completely obtained.
glance at the list of the names of buildings in which the Sneyd
bricks have been used, will show that they must have been brought as
near to perfection as is possible Among other, contracts in which
they have been used are the following:—Windsor Castle and the New
Post Office Buildings, London, by H.M. Commissioner of Works ; the
new Law Courts ; the Tivoli Restaurant, Strand, W.C.; the new stores
in Huish Court and Water Lane, Blackfriars, etc., for Messrs. Spiers
& Pond, Ltd. (this building is faced outside with
coloured glazed bricks and lined with white) by Messrs. Hargreaves
& Matear, by railway engineeers, and many more too numerous
to detail here.
siding, which has been admirably laid out by the colliery manager,
Mr. J. Heath, runs from the colliery right through the centre of the
brickworks, thus affording splendid facilities for transport. The
Company issue illustrated catalogues of their products, which should
be in the hands of all builders and architects.
depot at the new St. Pancras Goods Station (Somers Town Station),
London, is second to none in point of size, accommodation, and the
comprehensive character of the stock the Company keeps there. The
stock of glazed bricks there is so large and comprehensive that
there is no likelihood of the largest contract the Company may take
in London not receiving a sufficient and regular supply. A large and
varied stock of fire bricks, fire tiles and lumps, boiler seatings,
flue covers, white and coloured glazed tiles. Staffordshire blue and
red bricks, is also kept at this depot, which thus forms a most
valuable adjunct to the building trade of London."