period of operation:
Art Pottery Co
manufacturer at Wolf Street Works, Stoke,
Stoke-on-Trent, and then at the
Cauldon Works, Shelton.
James Wardle - company was renamed to Wardle &
Co in 1871 when James died and his wife Eliza took over the business.
business continued at William Street (in the mid 1950's William Street was
renamed to Yates Street) and then in 1882 they moved to Washington Works in
nearby Victoria Road (now named College Road).
In 1885 a new range of art pottery was
Eliza's son-in-law, David
Jones, took over management of the factory and introduced tube-lining and slip decoration.
Jones (who managed the company and had introduced tube-lining and slip
decoration) died in 1908, and
in 1910 the company was taken
over by J A Robinson & Sons Ltd. The name changed to Wardle Art Pottery.
and the business moved to the Wolf Street Works in
Wardle Art Pottery was later amalgamated with Cauldon
Potteries. Around 1924
the business moved to the Cauldon Works, in Shelton and finally
ceased trading in 1935.
Hurten Rhead (Instructor in Pottery and Designs in the Government Arts
Schools in England), was Art Director of the Wardle Art Pottery
Marks used on
ware for identification:
click below for examples of
Wardle marks and ware:
email: Steve Birks