period of operation:
manufacturer at the St. Mary's Works, Longton,
until 1998 and then at various Royal Doulton factories, Stoke-on-Trent, England
1964 the business of Thomas C Wild & Sons Ltd was taken over by
Person & Son Ltd and merged into their Lawley Group / Allied
English Potteries Ltd. Although Wild and the other member companies
continued to trade under their own names.
C Wild had from 1905 used the name 'Royal Albert Crown China' as
part of their branding. The name Royal Albert was registered in
1962 Harold Holdcroft, the Art Director at Thomas C Wild & Sons
designed the Old Country Roses pattern, which was to become one of
the worlds best known and most popular patterns.
earlier deaths and resignations 1969 saw the end of the the Wild
family involvement in Thomas C. Wild & Sons Ltd.
1970 Allied English Potteries changed the name of their subsidiary
Thomas C. Wild & Sons Ltd to Royal Albert Ltd.
1972 Royal Albert Ltd became a subsidiary of Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd following the amalgamation of the Royal Doulton and Allied English Potteries Ltd businesses.
saw the closure of the historic St Mary’s Works and transfer of the production of Royal Albert China to other Doulton factories
including their manufacturing plant in Indonesia.
Between 1972 and 2002, as a Royal Doulton company, Royal Albert Ltd continued to manufacture the traditional fine bone china tableware and teawares made by its famous
predecessor Thomas C Wild &
Sons Ltd. Harold Holdcroft's Old Country Roses, introduced in 1962, remained the flagship of the Royal Albert brand.
December 2002 all UK production of 'Royal Albert' ware had
ceased. The production of ware with the Royal Albert brand name
Waterford Wedgwood completed a takeover of Royal Doulton and the
Royal Albert brand was continued at Wedwood factories
Thomas C Wild & Sons Ltd
Subsequently: The brand name
'Royal Albert' was continued by Wedgwood
Marks used on
ware for identification:
Questions, comments, contributions?
email: Steve Birks