Churches and Chapels of Stoke-on-Trent
Methodist Church, High Street - Hanley
of Churches and Chapels | Index of Hanley Churches |
In the early 1950's High Street was renamed Town Road (this was because there were about 12 "High Streets" in the Potteries).
In 1986 the development of the A50 "Potteries Way" cut across a number of the adjacent streets.
The part of Town Road near Hanley Deep Pit colliery was moved to provide feeders to the Potteries Way and the top part of Town Road was renamed to "Old Town Road"
High Street Methodist
(now Old Town Road)
photo: Dec 2010
Methodist chapel to Spiritualist church to restaurant:
High Street Methodist Church - Erected
The church was built
in 1860 as a Methodist place of worship.
The church was well attended and formed an important part of the
surrounding community for many years.
Old Town Road was originally the main road in Hanley until subsequent
development changed the structure of the town.
National Spiritualist Church, 1926
In 1926 it was converted
to a Spiritualist Church and
was reputed to be one of the oldest in the country.
In November 2000
due to the ill health of the former president Muriel Shelley the
Spiritualist Church was closed and remained so for a year.
The officers of the
Spiritualist's National Union's West Midlands District Council
found that the administration of the Church had been inadequate
with too few meetings being held. A sustained effort was made by
the parties involved to keep the Church open, with new officers
being appointed and a new acting committee put in place to attempt
to ensure the future of the Church.
A decision was made in
2003 to close the Church and seek accommodation elsewhere. The fabric of
the Church was left in a state of disrepair due to lack of use and lack
of funds to carry out essential works.
An agent was appointed to handle the sale of the former Church in the
early part of 2006
The Church, Bar & Restaurant
The church was
converted into a restaurant - it's wooden vaulted ceiling and
stained glass windows, being left intact along with the historic
restoration of it's exterior.
The exterior was renovated
incorporating sandblasting/cleaning of the stone and brick work to
restore the front, side and rear elevations.
Windows that were previously
boarded and bricked up were replaced or repaired. Doorways and doors were
refurbished to reflect the historic impact of the building.
Internally the upper level hall
of worship was left intact excluding pews and the pulpit to retain
the grandeur of the timber vaulted ceiling and stained glass
windows. This area was refurbished to form functional leisure
High Street Methodist Church - on Old Town Road
at the bottom left is the Falcon Pottery Works
Town Road, Hanley - High Street, Hanley ran from Market Square,
past St. John's Church,
to Providence Square at what was Upper Hanley at the top end of Northwood Road.
& Sons Falcon Works, Hanley -
opposite the Methodist Church
of Churches and Chapels
of Hanley Churches
Heritage of Stoke-on-Trent