Doors, gates and windows



Duke of Bridgewater, Longport


Duke of Bridgwater pub on Station Road, Longport

Duke of Bridgwater pub on Station Road, Longport


This large Georgian building which is which now the Duke of Bridgewater Inn, was originally a master potters house.

“Mr John Davenport commenced business at Longport in 1794, and added, in 1797, to his other concerns, the chemical preparation of litharge and white lead, for the use of potters, in their glazes; but this department is now discontinued. In 1801, the making of flint-glass, or crystal, was introduced by them, and is still extensively can-led on; connecting with which is steam-machinery for cutting and ornamenting it. They produce very brilliant specimens of stained glass, and have got up some elaborate works of that kind for church and other windows, particularly one for St Mark’s, Liverpool; and have furnished splendid assortments for the Dukes of Sutherland and Devonshire, the Marquis of Anglesea and Westminster, and others of the nobility. 
They have (in addition to Longport Pottery, the Top & Bottom Bridge Works) a fourth Earthenware manufactory at Newport, which, with a good house near it, was built by Mr Walter Daniel, in or about the year 1795. The aggregate of their business, indeed, is of very considerable magnitude, and gives employment to upwards of fifteen hundred hands. Messrs Davenports’ china ware has long obtained celebrity, not only for the excellence of its material, but for exquisite design and embellishments. On his Majesty, King William, coming to the throne, he gave directions for a superb service of porcelain to be made, for the banquet to be given at the Coronation. This splendid production was, by his Majesty’s permission, exhibited publicly at the works, at Longport, previous to its being forwarded to St James’s; and Messrs Davenport, with that liberality which has distinguished them on all occasions, invited the manufacturers generally, and other neighbours, to inspect it.”

John Ward,  History of the Borough of Stoke-upon-Trent (1843)

The photograph above, (from the Warrillow Collection in Keele University Library), shows the frontage of the Bottom Bridge (or New Bridge) Pottery built in the 1770's. 

The large Georgian building on the left (which is now the Duke of Bridgewater Inn) was originally the master potters house. In 1841 the factory and the house were occupied by George Phillips who by then had been a pottery manufacturer for 19 years. He employed between 400 and 500 people at his factory

When William Davenport took over the factory the master potter’s 
house became redundant and in the late 1850s
 the pub was moved into the neighbouring house 
which it still occupies today. 
The factory frontage was demolished in about 1960 
and the remaining buildings on the site were 
recently cleared away prior to redevelopment.