Stoke-on-Trent
Doors, gates and windows


 

 

North West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority, Victoria Road, Fenton

Also see: Hanley Electricity Works, Bethesda Road, Hanley

 

the gates of the N.W.M.J.E.A. on Victoria Road, Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent

the gates of the N.W.M.J.E.A. on Victoria Road, Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent

This substation belonging to the North West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority  was built in 1937. 

Art Deco Style Logo of the North West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority
Art Deco Style Logo of the North West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority

 

Hanley power station was located next to Hanley Park on Ridgeway Road - it supplied the town with all its power from 1894. After the Federation in 1910 power was also supplied to Newcastle.

Much of this load was taken off Hanley power station after construction of Meaford power station in the 1930ís, when it was linked to supply power to the National Grid.

In 1919, the UK government was planning the reconstruction of the nation's industries after the First World War. The Board of Trade set up the Electric Power Supply Committee, chaired by Sir Archibald Williamson, which proposed the effective nationalisation of the industry.

Parliament rejected this solution but enacted the committee's recommendations in a weaker form, including the setting up of an Electricity Commission and a number of Joint Electricity Authorities which included the North West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority - the Commission continued to exist for some years after nationalisation, and finally closed in 1953.

The electrical power industry in the United Kingdom was nationalised by the Electricity Act 1947, when over 600 electric power companies were merged into twelve Area Boards.

The Midlands Electricity Board (MEB) took over the Stoke-on-Trent County Borough Corporation supply and the North West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority.


Companies that the NWMJEA supplied with electricity included Berry Hill Collieries in Stoke-on-Trent and the New Haden Colliery engineering shops and New Haden brickworks at Cheadle


 

 

 


the gates of the N.W.M.J.E.A. on Victoria Road, Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent
This substation belonging to the North West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority  was built in 1937.
 


Also see: Hanley Electricity Works, Bethesda Road, Hanley