in Stoke-on-Trent and area
pottery works and bottle kiln, Hanley
20 August 1979
Pottery works (former occupied
Dudson Bros Ltd)
STOKE ON TRENT SJ8847
Mid 19C potters kiln, circular hovel, larger scale than
Part of the yard and out-buildings surrounding
this factory is now open as a museum,
devoted to 200 years of the Dudson family pottery.
The large Dudson
photos: Steve Birks - Oct 1999
Formerly known as: Bottle kiln in yard to rear of
premises occupied by Dudson Bros. Ltd. Hanover Street, Hanley.
Pottery works, established on the site in the
1820's, but displaying a complex history of growth, adaptation
and modification, with a major expansion in 1872.
Brick with plain tiled roofs. A complex of
buildings grouped around a courtyard, with main range to Hanover
2-storeyed entrance block of 3 bays with arched
entry to courtyard and doorways inserted in former windows to
ground floor, casement windows above. Adjoining this to the left
is a further range of 5 bays, with single ring chamber heads to
windows, renewed in original openings. 2 further bays beyond, a
later addition. These adjoin a small house, with central blocked
doorway flanked by windows now boarded, but with flat arched
Other sides of courtyard occupied by a series of
brick buildings, with one long range to SE, built in 2 phases,
of 6 and 7 bays.
The kiln is housed within the courtyard - a wide
circular hovel, partly rendered over.
(Audrey m. Dudson: Dudson: A Family of Potters
since 1800: Hanley: 1985-: pg 30-36).
Hope Street is to the left and York Street to the right.
Bailey - 1983
Dudson factory only had one kiln
Section from 1898 OS map.
Note the tramways in Hope Street.
St. Johns Church to the right still stands.
The 'Slack Field' recreational ground was home to Port Vale (one of
the local football teams) - now based in Burslem.
photo: Chris Oldham
next: All Saints
Church, Joiner Square, Hanley
previous: Bottle Kilns at former Johnson Bros Works, Hanley