called Brook Street......
Because of the fact that the six
towns had grown up independently there had been duplication of many
street names which led to confusion as people started to move more
freely around the city. For example there were 7 'Albert Streets',
11 'Church Street's' and 12 'High Street's'.
In the early 1950's a large number
of streets were renamed and Brook Street was renamed as Century
Hanley on the 1898 OS map
on the both the mineral
line railway and the Potteries Loop Line railway can be seen
crossing Brook Street.
Hanley end of
Brook Street (now Century
Street) around 1890
On this photo the bridge carried
the railway track of the Potteries Loop Line
There were two
pottery factories in this street
Pearl Pottery and the
Brook Street Pottery.
Century Street - 2000
At the time of this photo the
bridge over the road was a connecting path between the Century Oils
manufacturing sites on either side of Century Street.
In the background the Potteries Shopping Centre and the tower of St. John's
Century Oils first
opened their doors as Walker Brothers Oil more than 125 years ago.
The Century name was adopted in 1900 (hence the change of the street name to
Century Street). Though initial production was directed towards consumers,
emphasis soon shifted to industrial lubrication. From the beginning, the
company was recognized as a high technology company, introducing state of
the art products for extended life wagon wheel lubrication and industrial
machinery lubrication. Later, when internal combustion engines, automobiles
and aircraft became facts of life, innovations progressed with the
introduction of superior motor oils, lubricating greases, metalworking
fluids and fire resistant hydraulic fluids.
In 1992, Century was acquired by the Fuchs Group.
junction of Eastbank Road
and Century Street
to the left is where a Mineral Line
railway track ran
Playground where the Mineral Line railway
two pictures on the wall behind the play are -
depicting the mineral line and on the top picture a montage of the present
day Potteries Shopping Centre and the smoke from the Brook Street bottle
kilns (which closed around 1947).