|Stoke-on-Trent Districts: Lane Delph
next: maps and photos of Lane Delph
Lane Delph, Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.
Lane Delph was one of the earliest populated areas in Fenton and home to s number of early pottery works and families...
a result of the growth of the pottery and mining industries, there
were by 1775 three main centres of population: Great Fenton, formerly
Fenton Culvert; Little Fenton and Lower Lane; Lane Delph.
As early as 1710
Thomas Heath of Lane Delph was producing a good durable ware, light
grey in colour and made from a mixture of clay and 'a species obtained
from the coal mines'; he apparently made dipped ware also.
Lane Delph mean?
The Lane Delph area:
By 1802 a post-office
had been opened at Lane Delph and the area was served by a horse-post
from Newcastle from 1835 until 1854.
1829 account of Lane Delph:
At the bottom of Ark Lane, niqh Mr. Pratt's, is a Chapel for the Calvinists; and in the New Road is one, commodious and handsome, (with a good school room connected, for the gratuitous instruction of children on the Sabbath;) owned by the Methodists of the New Connection, formed in 1797.
In Lane Delph also are entitled to notice, the House and Manufactory, of Thomas Carey, Esq. also of S. Ginders, Esq., and of J. Pratt, Esq. The manufactory of Messrs. G. & C. Mason, for Patent Iron-stone China, is commodious. Here is a Steam Engine of some peculiarity in its construction, by Holford of Hanley; but we never could get from him, an explicit statement of the nature of the improvement, certainly with a cylinder only the size of a six-horse power engine, this has always done the work of others rated as equal to sixteen horses. The front Warehouse is four stories high is fire proof, and has the most beautiful facade of any in the district. The manufactory where Messrs. Barker pursued their avocation, is now converted into cottages and a tavern called the Dog and Partridge.”
"About 1725, Mr. Thomas Astbury, a son of the person already mentioned, commenced business at Lane Delph; first using a different kind of marl with the flint, which so varied the teint of this improved pottery, that he named it Cream coloured stone ware; and this was further improved by using only the whitest native clay, and flint ground at Mothersall mill. The specimens seem merely thrown on the wheel, and finished to a polish by the dexterity of the workman. Some are of a red body, with white ornaments, and glazed with a lead ore; and a flour mug, dated 1730, has on it a tulip, rose, and auricula, fairly designed and executed.
The information we have received is, that the first factory was where Lane Delph Market-Place now is. - The old hovel, whose outside was almost covered by grass, was removed in 1823. It is also stated that the younger Mr. Astbury erected part of the premises now the property of Mr. S. Ginders."
"History of the Staffordshire Potteries" Simon Shaw 1829
1843 account of Lane Delph:
Two earthenware manufactories of THOMAS and JOHN CARY, another of JOHN and WILLIAM PRATT, another occupied by – GINDER & Co., and the China Manufactory of GREEN and RICHARDS are also seated at Middle-Fenton.
The Messrs. Mason, who are owners of a good deal of property here, have, within a few years past, set on foot a market on Saturdays, and erected a small but neat market-house, to which the police-station, another new erection, adjoins. The Canning Inn and some shops, also adjacent or near, give to Middle Fenton the character of a respectable small town.
A great improvement is in course of accomplishment here, by the making of an entirely new road from Messrs. Mason's manufactory in a direct line to Hanley, which goes over Fenton-low, crosses the Trent a little above a farm called Trent-hay, passes near Joiner's-square, by Eastwood-house, and goes by the Albion Inn into the middle of Hanley. This road will reduce the present circuitous course through Stoke (measuring about 2¾ miles,) to less than two miles, and will afford very important facilities of communication between the northern and southern parts of the Borough.”
"The Borough of Stoke-upon-Trent" John Ward 1843
NOTE: The new road from Middle Fenton to Hanley referred to by Ward is Victoria Road and Lichfield Street.
questions / comments / contributions? email: Steve Birks