Normacot Road, Longton
Shaw & Copestake Ltd and
Thomas Lawrence Ltd in 1962
Following the voluntary
liquidation of Shaw and Copestake in 1982 the factory and contents were
bought by the North Midlands Co-Operative Society and from there they
leased it to a workers co-operative society called Longton Ceramics.
A year and a half later the
United Co-Operative society took over and ran it as the Crown Windsor
name. This was not a successful venture and only managed five months of
production before liquidation.
The premises was bought by
Portmeirion Potteries Ltd around 1990 who began to operate there.
The same buildings in June 2008
the offices at the end with
the green sign is called the "Sylvac Centre", they sell Sylvac ware which
continues to be very collectable.
Shaw & Copestake Advert
the very first Shaw & Copestake
advertisement which appeared in the Pottery Gazette on June 1st 1904
Shaw & Copestake
Works (originally the Drury Works)
26 September 1960
This photo taken from
Gower Street, Normacot Street is running left to right. At the left is
the Sealion pub on the corner of Chadwick Street (the Spiritualist
Church is now on the site of the pub) - on the far right is St. James
The original Shaw &
Copestake factory, shown in this picture, was opposite the new factory
which is still standing.
photo: Lovatt Collection
Shaw and Copestake were
a manufacturer of fancy earthenware at Normacot Road, Longton from 1894
to May 1982
Early ware was
unmarked. "SylvaC" was a trade name often used by Shaw & Copestake, it
was not until c.1937 that the name "SylvaC" was impressed on the bottom
of the ware but it was very haphazard and much ware was unmarked.
SYLVAC RASPBERRY FACE POT,
WITH IMPRESSED SYLVAC 4898
Cute looking terriers
SylvaC Made In England
printed modified 'daisy' mark - with the trade mark "SylvaC"
The name "SylvaC" seems to have been registered in 1938
next: Longton Colour
previous: Longton Spiritualist Church