Wood & Son (s, Ltd)

Location and period of operation:

Wood & Son (s, Ltd)




Earthenware manufacturer at Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent

  • Established in 1865 by Absalom Wood and his son Thomas Francis Wood - Thomas was the fifth generation in line to Moses Wood who was brother to Aaron and Ralph.

  • Thomas, a prominent citizen in the potteries and later to become the Mayor of Burslem, built Wood and Sons into one of the largest companies in the area.

  • In 1921 Harry F. Wood succeeded his father, Thomas F. Wood, as the chairman and under his leadership the company became a prolific and successful pottery manufacturer.

  • The business became a public company in 1954 under the name Wood & Sons (Holdings) Ltd - although Wood and Sons Ltd continued as the main operating company. Just over half of the shares were owned by the family and a large proportion of the remaining shares were held by employees, so few shares were available for the general public.

  • In the 1950's & 60's the company was employing 1,000 people.

  • During the 1970's the company had to fight two unsuccessful takeover bids from local companies, the first in 1975 by a small family company called Barrets and in 1979 by Staffordshire Pottery. The unfortunate effect of fighting these unsuccessful takeover bids was to weaken the company and by 1981 the companies financial position had deteriorated to such an extent that it was found impossible to continue, the bank took control of the business and by 1982 it was necessary to call in the receivers.

  • The business was purchased by Edmund Yorke, who had been the company secretary in the old Woods company for many years, he was joined by his nephew Norman Edmund Yorke who had been the accountant at Wood and Sons. They continued the production of tableware in the Stanley Works, Newport Lane, Burslem with the name of Wood and Sons living on but no longer under the control of the Woods family until 2005 when they finally closed.


  • At the Trent and New Wharf Potteries, Burslem.

  • Later at the Stanley Pottery (which was purchased by Wood's in 1931 - it was made up of two factories - the Stanley Pottery and the Crown Pottery).

Associated companies:

  • H.J. Wood Ltd at the Alexandra Pottery, Burslem

  • Bursley Ltd at the Crown Pottery, Burslem - later renamed Susie Cooper Pottery Co. Ltd.

  • Ellgreave Pottery Co. Ltd at Ellgrave Street, Burslem


Previously:  New Wharf Pottery  also incorporating H J Wood


on the Wood family of potters


Note on dates:

In common with many pottery companies , Wood & Sons would put dates on their ware which refers to preceding companies or earlier generations of the family.....

Marks on Wood & Sons ware from 1950 onward sometimes bear the description "POTTERS FOR 200 YEARS" - 
Wood & Sons actually started potting in 1865 - the reference is to a distance member of the family - Ralph Wood, the eldest of three sons (Ralph, Moses, Enoch). Ralph was  born in 1715 and achieved renown round about 1750 with his famous and now rare Staffordshire figures, and especially his Toby Jugs.

Some ware bears a mark on which appears "RALPH 1750" "MOSES 1751" "ENOCH 1784" (sometimes just RALPH & ENOCH) - in spite of this, the ware bearing these dates does NOT date from the 1700's - these refer to three of the brothers of the Wood family.



click below for more information:-


Names used on ware for identification:



[mark c.1894-1907]


[mark 1907-1910]


[mark 1910-]

[Stafford knot with crown above]
Rd 56346


Wood and Sons Toby Jugs
of the 20th Century

Comments, questions, contributions? email: Steve Birks