Ellgreave Pottery Co Ltd






 

Location and period of operation:

Ellgreave Pottery Co Ltd

Burslem

1921

  1981

                                      Earthenware manufacturer at Ellgreave Street, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent

  • Established in 1921, on the site of the Dale Hall Brick & Tile Works, by Harry Wood (who, at this time, was chairman of Wood & Sons)and Ellgreave pottery operated as an associate company of Wood & Sons. A number of the Wood family were on the board of directors.

  • Around 1923 Charlotte Rhead, who had been working at Wood and Sons since 1912, designed for the Ellgreave Pottery and had a considerable hand in modernising their designs. Much of her work was sold by Ellgreave under the trade name of Lottie Rhead Ware. 

  • The Ellgreave pottery also produced the ordinary or tubby Toby Jug around 1925, painting the jugs in bright colours such as orange, blue and yellow, which made it necessary to use the enamel over glaze technique. The production of Toby jugs fell into decline and was not revived until the early 1950s.

  • In 1937 the pottery was a Listed Exhibitor at the British Industries Fair and were exhibiting Ellgreave Tiles. Comprehensive range of White Body Tile and Faience Fireplaces. They exhibited "Several departures from orthodox ideas, including one Suite having Built-in Aquarium, giving revolutionary method of fireplace decoration".

  • In 1953 Ellgreave were advertising that they produced "More than 1,500,000 teapots per year" as well as "jugs, coffee pots and cocoa jugs in Rockingham and Samian, Fancies and comic animals". 

  • The Ellgreave Pottery was originally sited in Ellgreave Street, Longport, Burslem. In 1967 the company was put into voluntary liquidation, along with a couple of other Wood companies. Production moved to the recently modernised Trent and New Wharf Pottery where the name Ellgreave continued. 

 

 


London Gazette
2 October 1931
 


notice authorising the employment of
women on shifts in pressing teapot lids

 


London Gazette
12 December 1967


notice of voluntary winding up

after 1967 the name Ellgreave continued as a division
of Wood & Sons, who were the owners of Ellgreave Pottery Co Ltd

 


 


teapot in the PEEL pattern

c.1920s 

 


 


Ellgreave are best known in piggy bank terms for their 'Mr Pig', 'Mr Piggy' and 'Wiggy' range

 



female rabbit figure
male rabbit figures were also produced

approximatly 26cm (10in) high
produced in the 1940s
 


 


 
gilt decorated teapot 
produced for export under the Wartime Concentration Scheme

 


Ellgreave Pottery Co Ltd
Burslem
England

the letter 'B' likely denotes that the ware was produced
under the Wartime Concentration Scheme

c.1941-52

 




plain undecorated jug
produced for domestic use under the Wartime Concentration Scheme

 


Ellgreave Pottery Co Ltd
Burslem

 

the letter 'B' likely denotes that the ware was produced
under the Wartime Concentration Scheme

c.1941-52


 


floral decorated teapot with gilt highlights

probably post 1952

 



kitchen storage jars 
post 1967

 


tea cups and sugar bowl in the Saxony pattern
post 1967

 

In 1967 the Ellgreave Pottery Co was put into voluntary liquidation.
 Production moved to the recently modernised Wood & Sons 
Trent and New Wharf Pottery where the name Ellgreave continued. 


 

 

 

Marks used on ware for identification:


Ellgreave Pottery Co
Burslem
England

early style of mark c.1920s


 


Ellgreave Pottery Co
Burslem  England

early style of mark c.1920/30s

'PEEL' is the pattern name



Ellgreave Pottery Co
Lottie Rhead Ware
Burslem  England

 


Ellgreave Pottery Co
Lottie Rhead Ware
Burslem  England

c.1947-67



Ellgreave Pottery Co
Burslem  
England

c.1947-67


 


Ellgreave 
Burslem
England

probably post 1952



Ellgreave 
Staffordshire
Genuine
Heatmaster
England

 


"Heatmaster"
Made in England

 


 


Ellgreave 
A div. of Wood & Sons
England

post 1967



Saxony
by
Wood & Sons
Potters for over 200 years
Ellgreave 
Burslem
England

post 1967



Ms Lorna Bailey
Old Ellgreave Pottery
Artware 
Burslem
England

NOTE: ware marked 'Old Ellgreave Pottery' 
was produced by Lorna Bailey from c.1998 onwards

this ware is not associated with the original Ellgreave Pottery



Advert for Ellgreave Pottery Co Ltd
Pottery Gazette and Glass Review, August 1956

The Leader - Insulated Tableware

Now used exclusively by:-
Bursley Manufacturing Co.
"Heatmaster," Kosy Kraft Ltd.
A.E. Medway & Co Ltd.
"Mirabelle," "Regal,"
"Regency," "Teamaster"

 


 


"Heatmaster" teapot and mark

 

 


1925 map showing the location of the Ellgreave Pottery in Longport, Burslem
previously this had been the site of the Dale Hall Brick & Tile Works 

 

 


Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks