Location and period of operation:
Adderleys Ltd operated at the Daisy Bank Pottery in Longton, Stoke-on-Trent - producing China and Earthenware.
From c.1936 to 1988 Adderley operated 'Adderley Floral and Figurine China Co Ltd' at Adderley Works, Sutherland Road, Longton
Previously: William Alsager Adderley and Co (1876 - 1905)
This company was taken over by Ridgway Potteries Ltd in 1947 - but ware was continued to be produced with the Adderleys name.
From c.1936 - 1988 ware was produced at the Adderley Works, Sutherland Road, Longton under the name of Adderley Foral China.
bottom centre is the Daisy Bank Works
In 1952 the works were renamed the Gainsborough Works
- click picture for more -
Initials & Marks used on ware for identification:
ADDERLEY & Co
a printed TRADE MARK of a ship was used
this mark was also used by William Alsager Adderleys
mark with the introduction of a
used 1912 - 1926
mark used 1912 - 1926
mark with the saling ship but
'Made in England' in place of 'Trade Mark'
used 1926 +
marl used 1926 +
Adderley Ware - Porcelaine Moderne
mark used 1929 - 1947
'OLD WILLOW' is the pattern name
this mark was introduced c.1929 and used to 1947
Marks used 1947 onwards
in 1947 Adderleys Ltd were taken
over by Ridgway Potteries Ltd
the name "Adderley" continued to be used
it was after the take over that the 1789 date was
incorporated in the mark design.....
fine bone china
these marks appear in a 1960
trade directory -
they are all catogorised as belonging to Ridgway Potteries Ltd.
mark used 1947-50
mark used 1950-62
Ridgway Potteries Ltd. Royal Adderley
this style of mark introduced in 1962
questions / comments / contributions? email: Steve Birks