bridle path, Ash Hall
Ash Cottage and the Bridle Path:
In 1851 Job Meigh
rebuilt Ash Cottage, using local sandstone.
Ash Cottage is located
by the entrance to the Bridle Path and was the home of the estate
gardener responsible for the upkeep of the formal gardens around the
Hall and the supply of fresh fruit and vegetables from the greenhouse
and kitchen garden located by the rear entrance off the Bridle Path.
was a strategic location in the mid nineteenth century because the
Bridle Path was the route of coal carts from Hanley Hayes Colliery to
the Hanley-Cheadle Turnpike Road. The exploitation of the coal
seams under the estate - reflected in the names of the fields: “Coal
Pit Field” and “Slack Pit Field” — helped to pay for the construction
of the new estate buildings and the enlargement of the estate.
Ash Cottage, located on the corner of
Ash Bank and Bridle Path
the cottage which was
occupied by the estate gardener