Lost and forgotten roads of Stoke-on-Trent

also see the "Old Roads" weekly walk

Hulton Abbey to Ruston Grange
This walk examines Hulton Abbey, the trackway along Sneyd Street and the monks farmland at Ruston Grange.
The Abbey was founded by Henry De Audley in 1219 and consecrated in 1223. Following the dissolution in 1538 the site eventually was lost until 1884; it was located during a chance excavation, later being investigated and published by Charles Lynam who was a local architect.

The Newcastle-under-Lyme Junction Canal was proposed in 1789 as a third canal, one of its main promoters was Nigel Gresleys' son.

The route was planned to be a link canal from the Nigel Gresley Canal to the Newcastle Under Lyme Canal. At the southern end of the Junction Canal a railway inclined plane was planned because the Newcastle Under Lyme Canal was some 60 feet lower than the Junction Canal.

Grove Road, Heron Cross, Great Fenton
It is not at all fanciful to speculate that a number of famous and early potters journeyed along the track which is today known as Whieldons Road, Grove Road and Duke Street.

Normacot Road, Longton
Normacot Road was once an important thoroughfare from Normacot to Longton Town. Many of the houses and works were demolished between the 1930's and the 1970's and the opening of the A50 road in 1997 meant that the end of Normacot Road was sealed off - so now it is a road to nowhere.

Lord Street (Etruria Old Road)
Josiah Wedgwood set an example by building houses for his workers. There may have been an element of philanthropy here, but it was also a necessity if skilled men were to be enticed to Etruria from Burslem. The terraced houses stretched along both sides of the main road from Etruria to Basford Bank.

Fowlea Bank, Basford
In the Etruria valley runs the Fowlea Brook, the turnpike road (now Etruria Road) to the left climbs a ridge, rising 500ft to Basford.
Basford Bank as we know it now was not built until 1820, prior to that the turnpike road ran along a steep route "Fowlea Bank" which still exists today behind the houses fronting Basford Bank.

Paradise Street, Tunstall
"Specially noteworthy are the two terraces, each of 20 houses, which form the south side of Paradise Street and the north side of Piccadilly Street at the west end of Tower Square. They were built in 1821 by the Tunstall Building Society which had been formed in 1816 with 32 members, many of them working potters."

The Ash Estate was a strategic location in the mid nineteenth century because the Bridle Path was the route of coal carts from Hanley Hayes Colliery to the Hanley-Cheadle Turnpike Road.
The exploitation of the coal seams under the estate - reflected in the names of the fields: “Coal Pit Field” and “Slack Pit Field” — helped to pay for the construction of the new Ash Hall estate buildings and the enlargement of the estate.

Pall Mall, Hanley
As early as 1818 Pall Mall existed as New Street, Shelton.

Although now a desolated street at one time it was a busy place with a large number of public buildings.......The Free Library, the North Staffs. Technical and Art Museum, the Government School of Art, the Potteries Mechanics’ Institution, and the Theatre Royal were all situated in Pall Mall.

Bridle Path, Dresden
When the Longton Freehold Land Society bought the land a bridle path leading from Longton to Trentham ran across the land. This was incorporated into the building plan as a pedestrian road between Belgrave Road and Ricardo Street. 
Following this bridle path will take us on a walk through the history of British social reform politics.......

Old Town Road, Hanley
The High Street, Hanley ran from Market Square to Providence Square in the early 1950's High Street was renamed Town Road The part of Town Road near Hanley Deep Pit colliery was moved to provide feeders to the Potteries Way and the top part of Town Road was renamed to "Old Town Road"

Bournes Bank, Burslem
Once part of a packhorse road which ran from Hanley through onto  Church Lawton. Bournes Bank was originally called Church Street and was the main path down to St. John's Church and then on to Hanley.
Many pottery and related industry buildings and businesses thrived on Bournes Bank. A school, an ice skating rink and two cinemas found their home on this unassuming road. 

also see the "Old Roads" weekly walk