Master Potters in Georgian Burslem (1714-1837)
Enoch Wood's Fountain Place Works
See the following pages for details on Enoch Wood, pictures of the factory in 1843 and an 1851 map of Woods.
"The firm of ENOCH WOOD AND SONS take the lead as Earthenware manufacturers, and have occupied that position for many years; the head of the house, Enoch Wood, Esq., whose name we have had occasion to introduce on several previous occasions, commenced business, in 1783, on his own account, and, in 1790, was joined by James Caldwell, Esq., late of Linley-Wood; the business being then from that time conducted under the firm of "Enoch Wood & Caldwell," until the year 1818, when Mr Wood purchased Mr Caldwell's property in the concern, and the present firm of Enoch Wood and Sons had its commencement.
Location 6 on
the index map
The corner of the Fountain Place Works
They occupy the sites of four ancient pot-works, near together, on the two sides of the old Pack-Horse-Lane, (formerly a public thoroughfare from Burslem to Newcastle, but now stopped up,) and which are connected by means of a subterraneous passage, as well as by the arched gallery shewn in the first of the two plates introduced hereafter, which exhibits the east front of the large manufactory in Fountain-Place, erected by Mr Wood in 1789.
The view walking up Pack Horse Lane
This was the road between Burslem
Newcastle under Lyme before Newcastle Road
next - further down the lane & Wood's home
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks