period of operation:
of bone china and earthenware, Longton,
was manufacturered at the Cobden Works and earthenware at the Anchor
Works, both in Longton.
Tableware had been a brand name of the British
Anchor Pottery Co. Ltd since the 1960's.
June 1970 the Gailey Group Ltd (owners of British Anchor Pottery)
acquired control of Thomas Poole
& Gladstone China Ltd (TPGC Ltd) and they folded their
British Anchor business into the acquisition.
Ltd adopted its new owner's Hostess Tableware brand, registering the
name as Hostess Tableware Ltd and using it as the umbrella for the
group's pottery interests including British Anchor earthenware and
Royal Stafford bone china.
1973 TPGC Ltd sold Hostess Tableware Ltd to Alfred
Clough Ltd and Hostess Tableware Ltd became a member of the
business was subsequently part of Grindley
of Stoke (Ceramics) Ltd, but was closed in 1982 when the
Grindley businesses were dispersed.
Source: Handbook of British Pottery
Manufacturers 1900-2010; Michael Perry
teaset in the Camelot
Fine Earthenware Staffs England
Shape & Design by John Russell
Camelot (designed by John
was originally produced by British Anchor Pottery Ltd
email: Steve Birks