Robinson & Leadbeater (Ltd)






 

Location and period of operation:

Robinson & Leadbeater (Ltd)

Stoke

1865

1924

 

Parian and Porcelain manufacturers and modellers In Stoke, Stoke-on-Trent, England 

  • The original partners were James Robinson and Edward James Leadbeater (b.1837 d.1911), who served his apprenticeship at Thomas Worthington's factory, Hanley.

  • In 1865 Robinson and Leadbeater purchased the Glebe Street Works (business, plant and moulds) from an Italian modeller named Giovanni Meli who had set up business there in 1850 as a Parian manufacturer. 

  • In 1870 Robinson and Leadbeater purchased the nearby Wharf Street Works from the executors of Leveson Hill. They also kept the Glebe Street Works.

  • In the 1881 census they were recorded as employing 28 Men, 10 Women and 9 Children 

  • In 1882 Robinson & Leadbeater, together with Robert Leason established a seperate company - the Victoria Pottery Company for the manufacture of majolica ware. 

  • The Robinson & Leadbeater parian business became insolvent in 1904. The partners at this time were Edward James Leadbeater and Frederick Robinson. 

  • In 1905 Frederick Robinson established his own business at 55 Wharf Street.

  • The original business survived and by 1906 was controlled by Harold Taylor Robinson. The title Robinson & Leadbeater was retained.

  • In 1905 (1908?) the business was incorporated as a limited company. 

  • Around 1910 the business became a subsidiary J. A. Robinson & Sons Ltd. who also took over Wardle & Co in the same year. As part of cost saving measures the business of Wardle & Co. was moved to join that of Robinson & Leadbeater at the Wolf Street Works.  

  • J. A. Robinson & Sons Ltd. was a holding company set up by Harold Taylor Robinson for control on his growing number of pottery companies. In 1920 H. T. Robinson acquired Cauldon Ltd from the recievers, he renamed this Cauldon Potteries Ltd

  • In 1924 Robinson & Leadbeater, and other J. A. Robinson & Sons pottery companies were merged into Cauldon Potteries Ltd. Around this time the use of the name of Robinson & Leadbeater seems to disappear. In any event Cauldon Potteries Ltd. was placed into receivership in 1932 and its assets sold off.

 

Glebe Street Works

Wharf Street Works

Wolfe Street Works 

 


 


Robinson & Leadbeater
(Successor to Giovanni Meli) 
 
Manufacturer of Parian Statuary, &c.
Near the Town Hall, Stoke-upon-Trent
Staffordshire Potteries
New Subjects by Eminent Artists Constantly Being Added

1867 Keates directory



Robinson & Leadbeater
Manufacturers of Parian Statuary Ornaments, etc., etc.,
for Home & Foreign markets
New Subjects in Parian by Eminent Artists are being Constantly Added
Works:- Glebe Street & Wharf Street
 Stoke-upon-Trent

1870 Harrod directory



Robinson & Leadbeater
Manufacturers of Parian + Statuary, + &c.
Wolfe Street,
Stoke-upon-Trent

1882 Keates directory


Established 1850
Robinson & Leadbeater
Manufacturers of Parian Statuary, etc.,.
Wolfe Street,
Stoke-upon-Trent

1892 Keates directory

this series of adverts show the progression of the factories that Robinson & Leadbeater worked from
Glebe Street (from 1865), Wharf Street (from 1870) and finally Wolfe Street (from around 1880)

note the advert that says 'Established 1850' - this was the date that the 
predecessor Giovanni Meli started his business - Robinson & Leadbeater purchased 
the Glebe Street works, business and equipment from Meli in 1865

Adverts courtesy of R. K. Henrywood's Staffordshire Potters, 1781-1900

 


The London Gazette
12 May 1905  


notice regarding a Deed of Assignment for
Creditors dated 24 October 1904 

 


 


Robinson and Leadbeater, Ltd.,
parian manufacturers, busts
of celebrities

1907 Staffordshire Sentinel 
'Business Reference Guide to The Potteries, Newcastle & District'

 


 

 


Robinson & Leadbeater
Stoke-upon-Trent

 The Pottery Gazette, American and Canadian Edition, January 1st 1880


 

Marks and initials used on ware for identification:

R & L

Royal Ivory Porcelain

Victorian Porcelain

NOTE: "Ltd" was added after 1905

 


 

 
The front part of the plinth has a signature ' C. H. Spurgeon' 
on the rear are the following inscriptions:-

Published by the
Rev. G.Dunnett.
Manfrd. by 
Robinson 

Leadbeater
Stoke on Trent. 
 Copyright

On the plinth it has : 

J. A. ACTON Facet 1878


Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks


 

Messrs. Robinson & Leadbeater, Wolfe Street, Stoke

A descriptive account of The Potteries (illustrated)
1893 advertising and trade journal. 

 


 



article on Robinson & Leadbeater 
Fancy Trades Supplement to the Pottery Gazette  June 1, 1893