Wiltshaw & Robinson (Ltd)






 

Location and period of operation:

Wiltshaw & Robinson (Ltd)

Stoke

1890

1958

Earthenware and China manufacturer at the Carlton Works, Stoke, Stoke-on-Trent

Wiltshaw and Robinson  made fashionable earthenware which included a range of blush ground items imitating Royal Worcester, blue transfer printed wares, plain white, tinted faience, a range of Imari-style wares in the traditional blue, red and gilt and even sprigged ware in a variety of colours, reminiscent of Wedgwood.

From the 1900s to 1920s Wiltshaw and Robinson was a leading producer of china crested ware under the trade name 'Carlton Heraldic China'.

 

  • James Frederick Wiltshaw had worked in a managerial role for his father, Thomas, who was the managing director of James Macintyre &Co Ltd at the Washington Works, Burslem, until his death in 1887.

  • Three years later, in 1890, James founded Wiltshaw and Robinson in partnership with two brothers, James Alcock Robinson and William Herbert Robinson. They took over the relatively modern Copeland Street Works in Stoke-on-Trent that had previously been occupied by a series of (unsuccessful) partnerships whose production had included parian statuary, china and earthenware.

  • In 1906 Harold Taylor Robinson, son of James Alcock Robinson, replaced his uncle, William, as a director of the company and this was reflected by the change of name for a brief period to Wiltshaw, Robinson & Son Ltd.

  • 1911 - With hindsight of the subsequent business dealings of the Robinsons it seems inevitable that a split would occur.
    James Wiltshaw became sole proprietor of the company in 1911 amidst much rancour having bought out his partners. He proclaimed this in his advertising of the day by stating that he was now the sole proprietor of Wiltshaw & Robinson Ltd.

  • The business continued to trade as Wiltshaw & Robinson Ltd. 

  • A new designer, Horace Wain, was employed to create new patterns and shapes that would replace the Victorian styles still being made.

  • In 1918 a tragic accident at Stoke Railway Station in 1918 resulted in the death of the founder James F Wiltshaw. His son, Frederick Cuthbert Wiltshaw, who served in the Royal Flying Corps, was allowed compassionate leave from the war to enable him to put the company's affairs in order. The Armistice was signed, he never returned to service and became the head of the Company.

  • In the early 1920s the designer Horace Wain left and moved to A. G.Harley Jones & Co (where Wilton Ware was made) and Enoch Boulton was engaged to be Carlton Ware's designer. The period leading up to 1930 was one of the most inventive and productive in the history of the Carlton Works and much of this can be attributed to the new designer. 

  • In 1933, after a long association, they took over Birks, Rawlins & Co Ltd, a bone china manufacturing company and the Vine Pottery was also used to produce 'Carlton Ware'.

  • In January 1958 the company name was changed to Carlton Ware Ltd. Frederick Cuthbert Wiltshaw continue as owner and Managing Director until his death in 1966. 

 

 See article on Carlton Ware
  See article on Enoch Boulton - Design Manager of Wiltshaw & Robinson


Subsequently: Carlton Ware Ltd

 



Wiltshaw and Robinson, 
Carlton Ware Manufacturers

from..... 1907 Staffordshire Sentinel 
'Business Reference Guide to The Potteries, Newcastle & District'


January 1929 

 




jug with pewter lid - Cloisonné Ware 

 


Carlton Cloisonné Ware
W & R
Stoke-on-Trent
Carlton Ware

the registration number 32263 shows that
the pattern was first registered in 1899 


 


Octagonal vase in the KANG HSI design 
Wiltshaw and Robinson introduced their Kang Hsi ware c.1914

 

The Kangxi Emperor was the fourth emperor of the Qing dynasty, and the second Qing emperor to rule over China proper, from 1661 to 1722.

A number of pottery manufacturers (including A G Harley Jones and Rosina China Ltd) reproduced designs from of the Kang Hsi period such as this vase by Wiltshaw and Robinson with rich powder blue ground decorated with elaborate Chinese designs in gold. 


W & R 
Stoke on Trent
Carlton Ware
 KANG HSI

c.1914


 


Carlton Heraldic China Ware

From the 1900s to 1920s Wiltshaw and Robinson was a leading producer 
of china crested ware under the trade name 'Carlton Heraldic China'.



Carlton China dinner set

c1928 - 1934

 


 

Marks & initials used on ware for identification:

W & R

Carlton Ware
the trade name Carton Ware was registered c1893 

Carlton China

Carlton Heraldic China

Cloisonné Ware

Rouge Royale


 


W & R
Stoke-on-Trent

c.1890+ 


 


W & R
Stoke-on-Trent
Carlton Ware
Made in England

c.1894 onwards


 


W & R
Stoke-on-Trent
Carlton China

c.1906 onwards

 



Carlton China
Made in England

c.1925 - 57
china ware was not produced after 1957



Carlton Ware
Made in England
"Trade Mark"

c.1925 +


Carlton Ware
Handpainted
Made in England
"Trade Mark"

c.1925 +

the script mark was continued after the
name change to CARLTON WARE LTD in January 1958 

 


 


Carlton Works
Previous Earthenware and China manufacturer at the Carlton Works, Stoke, Stoke-on-Trent.
Originally the company was named "Wiltshaw & Robinson" 
in January 1958 the company was renamed "Carton Ware Ltd"

 



1879 OS map - 1:2,500

showing the 'Parian Ware' factory before Wiltshaw & Robinson took the works in 1890 

 



1951 OS map - 1:1,250

showing the Wiltshaw & Robinson Carlton Works

 



1951 OS map - 1:1,250

large view of the 1951 map showing the Trent & Mersey canal to the right
and the Spode Works at the bottom

 


Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks