Pevsner and the Buildings of Stoke-on-Trent
 

Outer Burslem


next: Inner Fenton
previous
: Inner Burslem - Private Buildings
 

Christ Church, Church Terrace, Cobridge (s). 1838-40 by L. G. Hales, a local brass-founder.
New chancel 1899. Yellow brick, w tower with lancet bell-openings. Lancets and buttresses along the sides.


Christ Church, Cobridge
extensively renovated in 2001
photo - Steve Lewin

on Christ Church, Cobridge
 


St. Joseph (R.C.), Waterloo Road and Grange Street (s). 37 by E. Bower Norris.

 


Bethel Methodist Chapel, Waterloo Road (s). 1824.
Stuccoed. Five bays, three-bay pediment, arched windows.
Are the wings part of the design ?

photo: May 1988

on Bethel Methodist Church


Brownhills High School for girls. 1927-9 by S. B. Ashworth and W. H. Reynolds, incorporating a house of 1782 altered in 1830.

photo: May 2006
Steve Lewin


In Waterloo Road (s), which was made in 1817, is The American, a public house with one bow exactly like the two of the Leopard.


photo: Aug 1987

on The American


Opposite the Washington Works, of the 18305, a facade with slight breaks forward and backward.* Further s in Waterloo Road detached houses for the better classes, Late Classical and also gabled.

* Now demolished.

 


 detached houses for the better classes

photos - 2001


Two more noteworthy factories: Price's Teapot Works in Longport (w) has two pediments over the end bays.


photo - Oct 1999

on Price's Teapot Works


and at W. Moorcroft's factory in Sandbach Road, Cobridge, is a preserved and accessible kiln in full working order.


This factory was built in 1913

photo c. 1973 - 1975
Staffordshire past track


And one more former private house: Portland House (w) in Newcastle Street (College of Art), of three bays with Venetian and tripartite lunette windows, so wide and heavy that the date 1832 is no surprise.

photo - Oct 2000

  Brian Peach




next: Inner Fenton
previous
: Inner Burslem - Private Buildings