& John Carey
Location and period of operation:
Thomas & John Carey
There is some uncertainty as to the exact starting date of the Carey brothers partnership:
# "The Anchor Works at the junction of Anchor road and Sutherland Road was run by Thomas and John Cary from at least 1818 until the dissolution of the partnership in 1842" .....'The Victoria History of the County of Stafford vol VIII'
*"The first reference to the partnership seems to date from 1823 but "Carey Bros" and John occurs before this date. The partnership was dissolved in January 1842" ..... Godden's 'Encyclopedia of British pottery and porcelain marks'
| see 'Anglo-American' journal for Carey |
Initials used on ware for identification:
Click the links
below for more
information on the Carey potters:-
In 1827, the Duke of Leeds leased setts at Tresowes, close to Tregonning Hill, to George Blakeley, a London merchant. Blakeley worked the clay for four years, but by 1832, with the pit almost idle, the Duke cancelled the lease and reissued it to Thomas Broad, a native of Hanley, Staffs. Both china clay and china stone occurred at Tresowes. Broad was only interested in the china clay, as he was already working a china stone quarry at Goonamarres for his in-laws.
The china stone quarry was offered for a separate lease, and between 1833
- 1835 the lease was taken by the Staffordshire potters Thomas and John
Carey, of Lane End, whose speciality was a special white stoneware known
as White Granite Ware, which they made at their Anchor Works at Lane End.
The Staffordshire Potteries were going through a minor recession, and both
Broad and the Careys were forced by this to give up their leases on
Tresowes - Broad in 1&38 and the Careys in 1839.
John Carey (c.1803-43)
was born around 1803, his parents were probably John and Sarah Carey.
His father John was probably the potter "John Carey & Son" recorded in Lane End starting in around 1813 - John Carey had a brother name Thomas and they were partners in the potworks.
With Thomas Carey he operated a total of 5 pottery factories:
Three potteries in Lane End
The Anchor Works in Market Street, Longton
A pottery in King Street, Fenton.
The partnership with Thomas ended in January 1842
John Carey married Harriet
Cartwright at Trentham on the 26th June 1823. There was at least one child - a
son also named John.
Thomas Carey married Elizabeth Davis and they emigrated to Australia.
In 1840 John Carey built a rectory house for St. James's Church, Longton - he was the patron of St. James. The rectory house was attacked during the Chartist riots which took place in the Potteries in 1842. "The rectory-house at the latter place was the especial object of their fury; it was gutted and set fire to, though the fire was extinguished before it destroyed the premises".
Carey was appointed as Chief Bailiff for the Longton District.
1841 John Carey was the Returning Officer for the Borough (appointed by the High Sheriff, according to the Reform Act which came into effect in 1832)
died at 'Parkfield', Barlaston on 12 November 1843.
see more on Chartism in the Potteries.
"By the late 1820's the Careys had a mill for grinding corn and potters' materials in Anchor Road to the north of the Anchor Works; the steam engine was supplied with water from the reservoir surrounding The Moat, the house on the opposite side of the road which was occupied by John Carey by 1834." .....'The Victoria History of the County of Stafford vol VIII'
"Mr. J. Carey’s house is rather elegant, and has its appearance improved by being placed on an island in a large reservoir, that supplies condensing water for the Steam Engine at the Mill, where are ground flour, and the various materials arid colours for the manufactories; and when the engine is working, a single jet fountain throws up warm water several feet high. There are a beautiful small bridge, gates, large canons, &c. but the whole is exposed to the smoke of the manufactories. The proprietor is highly esteemed for many excellencies of character as a master and friend." .... History of the Staffordshire Potteries - Simeon Shaw, 1829.
click for picture and map of Island House
History of the Staffordshire Potteries - Simeon Shaw, 1829: -
"FENTON has indeed been greatly enlarged in population during the present century; and since 1820 many new houses have been erected......In Lane Delph also are entitled to notice, the House and Manufactory of Thomas Carey, Esq.....
"LANE END and the vicinity ..... other Manufactories belong to.... T. & J. Carey..... Those of Messrs. T. & J. Carey, are well adapted for a considerable portion of business; and have a powerful Steam Engine and Mill connected with them."
The Borough of Stoke-upon-Trent John Ward - published 1843: -
"....John Carey, Esq., an opulent manufacturer of Fenton and Lane End."
signature of John Carey on his last will and testament
signature of Thomas Carey on his last will and testament
The above information may
not be available
for all potters - if you have information to
help complete the records then I would be
happy to include it.
email: Steve Birks
updated: 10 December 2007