Island House | Buildings of Stoke-on-Trent


Buildings of Stoke-on-Trent

[ Web Site Index ]

Island House

Also known as "The Moat", "Moat House" and "Anchor House"

 "Mr. J. Carey’s house is rather elegant, and has its appearance improved by being placed on an island in a large reservoir, that supplies condensing water for the Steam Engine at the Mill, where are ground flour, and the various materials arid colours for the manufactories; and when the engine is working, a single jet fountain throws up warm water several feet high. There are a beautiful small bridge, gates, large canons, &c. but the whole is exposed to the smoke of the manufactories. The proprietor is highly esteemed for many excellencies of character as a master and friend." 

.... History of the Staffordshire Potteries - Simeon Shaw, 1829.


"The Anchor House, mentioned in 1758, was probably situated on the land lying north-east of the centre of Longton called the Anchor Ground, which was held in 1778 by Richard Myatt.
In that year the land, and presumably the house, were bought by John Edensor Heathcote. 
By at least 1834 Anchor House was the home of John Carey, a potter. 
By mid-century it had been surrounded by a moat and was known as The Moat, being then occupied by Moses Cartwright, as tenant of Harriet Rammage, widow of John Carey. 
The Heathcote family still owned at least part of the Anchor Ground in 1851. The moat surrounding the house, which by the late 1870's was called Island House, had been drained by the early 1920's.
The house has since been demolished."

.... Longton', A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 8 (1963), pp. 224-246.


The Island House, Longton around 1900
The Island House, Longton around 1900. 
The moat was about four feet deep and must have been unique in the Potteries.

(Photo: Warrillow "Sociological History of Stoke on Trent)


Click for maps of the house location

Anchor House and works
 - 1832 map

Island House and Anchor
works - 1900 map

Click for more details on  Thomas & John Carey potworks.